Splunk Search

Lookup File data retention Question

newbie2tech
Communicator

Hi Team,

I have requirement to show last 90 days worth of app login stats broken by day.

I have a lookup table/defnition created and i have saved search that writes the summary data every morning 5 am for the previous day onto the lookup.

Question i got, is there any time limitation until which lookup will retain this data before which it starts truncating or deleting data? I expect the data would remain intact however i wanted to check with wider audience to see how your experiece has been.

I understand better way would be to either create summary index or kv store, i am not going that route as it would need 2 weeks to get it out to production in my space and i need something quick.

Please share your thoughts.

Mine is clustered environment (both SH & indexers) , version is 6.6+

Thanks!

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

There is no retention for lookups. The lookup will stay until some one deletes it or overwrites it.

0 Karma

kvswathi
Path Finder

Hey , you can try "Search-Driven Lookup" , there you can set retention for a lookup.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.3.0/Admin/Createsearchdrivenlookups

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...