Splunk Search

Log4J Search slows down after a few minutes (Large Query)

cyberdiver
Explorer

Log4J Query:

index=*
| regex _raw="(\$|%24)(\{|%7B)([^jJ]*[jJ])([^nN]*[nN])([^dD]*[dD])([^iI]*[iI])(:|%3A|\$|%24|}|%7D)"
| eval action=coalesce(action_taken, elb_status_code, status)
| where NOT (cidrmatch("192.168.0.0/16",src_ip) OR cidrmatch("10.0.0.0/8",src_ip) OR cidrmatch("172.16.0.0/12",src_ip)) OR Country="United States"
| iplocation src_ip 
| eval notNULL=""
| fillnull value="unknown" notNULL, src_ip, dest_ip, action, url, Country
| stats count by src_ip, Country, dest_ip, url, action, sourcetype
| sort - count​

This checks anywhere where there is a sign of the Log4J exploit being used.  I've done field extraction on any sourcetypes returned by my previous query: 

index=*
| regex _raw="(\$|%24)(\{|%7B)([^jJ]*[jJ])([^nN]*[nN])([^dD]*[dD])([^iI]*[iI])(:|%3A|\$|%24|}|%7D)"
| stats count as "exploit attempts" by sourcetype
| sort - "exploit attempts"

I extracted fields so that I can get a table with src_ip, Country, dest_ip, url, action, sourcetype, and count. I want to then use this query in subsequent queries to get information on if the exploit was successful, and if there is any other communication that follows.  

The query works and I get results like this (fake results):

src_ipCountrydest_ipurlactionsourcetypecount
248.216.243.59Unknown192.168.1.148192.168.1.148/blockedfirewall3
207.191.80.208US192.168.1.216192.168.1.216/allowedfirewall2

Problem being...

The query runs really slow after a few minutes of running.

It starts out by doing millions of events every few seconds and slows down to doing thousands every few seconds. 

Some info from logs:

• command.search, command.search.kv, and dispatch.stream.remote take up the most time of the run.
  • I'm getting warnings in search.log like "Max bucket size is larger than the index size limit" , "Invalid field alias specification in stanza". However, these don't seem to be the reason for the error.
  • Using high_perf and Fast Mode

If there is any more information I can add, then feel free to ask and I will edit.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect part of the problem is index=*.  Searching every non-internal index you have is going to be slow, so much so that the construct is not allowed in many shops.  The search is probably running fast at first until memory pressure slows things down.

Try searching only the indexes known to contain log4j events.  You probably can skip the Cisco logs, for example.

I should point out that only failed log4stuff exploits will be in the logs.  Successful exploits are silent.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect part of the problem is index=*.  Searching every non-internal index you have is going to be slow, so much so that the construct is not allowed in many shops.  The search is probably running fast at first until memory pressure slows things down.

Try searching only the indexes known to contain log4j events.  You probably can skip the Cisco logs, for example.

I should point out that only failed log4stuff exploits will be in the logs.  Successful exploits are silent.

---

cyberdiver
Explorer

This makes sense.  I'm relatively new to Splunk, but the memory piece makes a lot of sense here.  I'm studious in wanting to know why you think only failed exploits will show up.  A lot of the logs I'm looking at are Blocked and Allowed attempts.  At least in terms of most of them being found in web requests which are all logged.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What I've read about log4stuff has said successful JNDI calls are silent, but perhaps your environment is different.

---

johnhuang
Motivator

Under some scenarios, this could be true. For example if you're looking at network or firewall logs:

1. If your FW IPS is configured for blocking log4j signature, it can only block attempts that it was able to detect, as a result, you will only see blocked attempts.
  2. Unless your firewall is decrypting HTTPS traffic, it won't be able to log the URL or other HTTP headers that may contain the JNDI string.

If you can't find the JDNI string in the logs that log4j has written to, it means that the target log4j is not configured to log that information and is not vulnerable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...