Splunk Search

Joining multiple field value count using a common text

att35
Builder

Hi,

We have few appliances spread across various data centers feeding logs into Splunk. Each Data center has 2 or more of such appliances depending on load. Hostname for the device is already an extracted field and is being used to chart individual count.

What I would like to do now, is to combine the results based on DC but the problem is that the DC identifier is part of the hostname and not a separate field. e.g. DC01APP1, DC01APP2, DC02APP1, DC02APP2. Now, instead of listing count for all 4 individually, I'd like to list for "DC01" and "DC02", where "DC01" should contain the aggregate count for DC01(APP1/APP2).

Is there any eval function which might help in achieving this or would i have to extract the DC part again from an existing field?

Many Thanks,

~ Abhi

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes there is

your base search giving count by hostname | eval hostname=substr(hostname,1,4) | stats sum(count) as count by hostname

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could extract the DC name using rex and then aggregate on the new field. For example,

your base search | rex field=hostname "(?<DC>DC\d\d)" | stats count by DC ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes there is

your base search giving count by hostname | eval hostname=substr(hostname,1,4) | stats sum(count) as count by hostname

att35
Builder

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...