Splunk Search

Join searches and make a calculation

balash1979
Path Finder

I would like to run 2 searches and calculate the difference between 2 fields and plot the result using timechart 

I have tested both these searches independently and it works fine. 

I am trying this out

<search A>  | stats count  max(size) AS Users_Waiting | join [search <search B> | stats count as Daily_Users | streamstats sum(Daily_Users) as Cumulative_Users | timechart span=1d Cumulative_Users-Users_Waiting

So basically, I want to take the count of first search which is Users_Waiting

Take the count of 2nd search which is Cumulative_Users

Draw a timechart with (Cumulative_Users - Users_Waiting)

Is my approach correct ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The join command works best when the two searches have common fields.  This example has no common fields.  What's more, join is inefficient and not needed in this case.  Also, the timechart command requires the _time field, but it is stripped out by stats.  Additionally, the timechart command cannot calculate the difference between two fields.

Try combining the searches with append then merging the results by time.  Use eval to compute difference before invoking timechart.

<search A>  
| bin span=1d _time
| stats count max(size) AS Users_Waiting by _time
| append [search <search B> 
  | bin span=1d _time
  | stats count as Daily_Users by _time
  | streamstats sum(Daily_Users) as Cumulative_Users ]
| stats values(*) as * by _time
| eval Users_Not_Waiting = Cumulative_Users - Users_Waiting
| timechart span=1d Users_Not_Waiting

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The join command works best when the two searches have common fields.  This example has no common fields.  What's more, join is inefficient and not needed in this case.  Also, the timechart command requires the _time field, but it is stripped out by stats.  Additionally, the timechart command cannot calculate the difference between two fields.

Try combining the searches with append then merging the results by time.  Use eval to compute difference before invoking timechart.

<search A>  
| bin span=1d _time
| stats count max(size) AS Users_Waiting by _time
| append [search <search B> 
  | bin span=1d _time
  | stats count as Daily_Users by _time
  | streamstats sum(Daily_Users) as Cumulative_Users ]
| stats values(*) as * by _time
| eval Users_Not_Waiting = Cumulative_Users - Users_Waiting
| timechart span=1d Users_Not_Waiting

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

balash1979
Path Finder

Sorry if i wasnt very clear.

This is search1 
<search A>  | stats count  max(size) AS Users_Waiting 

This is search 2
 join [search <search B> | stats count as Daily_Users | streamstats sum(Daily_Users) as Cumulative_Users 

Is there a way to do Cumulative_Users-Users_Waiting (basically difference between these 2 numbers) and then timechart the difference ?
Yes, I dont have any common fields between the 2 searches.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly, you should add a time element to the stats e.g. 1h buckets or whatever you choose so long as they are the same for the two queries. This will give you a field to join on i.e. _time

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The join will attempt to join with common fields - there are no common fields between your two queries.

The timechart needs a time element to work with - both queries remove this in their stats commands.

It is not clear where your second query finishes as there is no closing square bracket.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...