Splunk Search

Join 2 fields with the same value in the same search.

LeandroKopke
Explorer

Hi.
I need help to be able to unify 2 fields that have the same value, however, in separate searches.
Here is an example:

Search 1:
source=* sourcetype=fortigate user=* action=tunnel-up reason="tunnel established"| table _time user group action remip reason tunnelip

Search 2:
source=* sourcetype=fortigate dstport=6443 action=close |table srcip, srcintf

The "srcip" and "remip" fields have the same values. I need both searches together, to be able to use the user field of the first search in the second search.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This does not make sense. Please explain what fields from what search are to be used to program details in what other search OR explain how data from both searches need to be merged together.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If search 1 returns 10,000 or fewer results, try a subsearch. Don't forget to specify index(es) in the searches.

source=* sourcetype=fortigate dstport=6443 action=close 
  [ source= sourcetype=fortigate user=* action=tunnel-up reason="tunnel established" | fields user remip | rename remip as srcip | format ]
|table srcip, srcintf
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

LeandroKopke
Explorer

hi richgalloway, thanks for you reply.
I did the execution of the command only, it doesn't return any results.
I've tried using append and join, but to no avail.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Keep in mind my answer is mostly a copy-and-paste of your example queries so any errors there are errors in mine as well.
Try running the subsearch (the part inside [] by itself. Once that is working correctly, add it to the main search.

---
0 Karma

LeandroKopke
Explorer

Separate, both queries return results.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And when you paste the results of the subsearch onto the end of the main search, what do you get?

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...