Splunk Search

Is there a way to set a field alias at search time?

knutsod
Path Finder

Is there a way to set a Field Alias as search time, I am building a report looking at Windows Event IDs, In this case I want to know if the User or The User_Name field are = to something. This would be simple with an OR but I am using an inputlookup sub search to get the list of users from a CSV.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

okrabbe
Explorer

Yes, there is the rename command

mysearch | rename User as user User_Name as user

One other option is to use coalesce with an eval

mysearch | eval user=coalesce(User, User_Name)

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can handle that in subsearch query itself.
e.g. |inputlookup yourlookup.csv | eval User=User_Name | table User, User_Name | format "(" "(" "OR" ")" "OR" ")"

0 Karma

okrabbe
Explorer

Yes, there is the rename command

One other option is to use coalesce with an eval

mysearch | eval user=coalesce(User, User_Name)

landen99
Motivator

rename replaces the target field, even if there was something there before, if it appears consecutively like this:

mysearch | rename User as user | rename User_Name as user

rename only coalesces if it appears for both fields within the same pipe like this:

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...