Splunk Search

Is it possible to compare equality of two fields at the root search without using | search, | where, or | eval?

responsys_cm
Builder

I'm trying to work around the limitations of data model root searches not supporting pipes.

Is there any way to do see if fieldX=fieldY at the root search level or does Splunk always treat the "fieldY" as a string?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

See if you can manage that with a tstats command.

Something like...

| tstats max(_time) where index=foo sourcetype=qualys by dest

I doubt if dest is an index time field, so it might not be available to tstats.

If not, then if you just want the most recent _time, then try dedup

index=foo sourcetype=qualys earliest=-30d@d | dedup dest  

With regard to your underlying question,

1) search treats the right side of an = as a literal, whereas where evaluates both sides.

2) There is no way to compare two fields before the first pipe.

0 Karma

zonistj
Path Finder

Data models can be interacted with in multiple ways. Can you provide the search that you're working on? Also, is the data model accelerated?

0 Karma

responsys_cm
Builder

The search needs to use something like eventstats to find the most recent timestamp for the events, in this case the last time a destination IP was scanned by a vulnerability scanner. But searches with pipes aren't supported by data models.

So, I could put the most recent scan time for each IP in a lookup table and create an automatic lookup for it. That way I could have a top level search that says _time=last_scan_time if I can get the last_scan_time to be treated as a field like with WHERE rather than a string...

0 Karma

zonistj
Path Finder

I'd like to help you, but I need more information. There are ways to search data models using pipes.

For example, we can use tstats to search the authentication data model and use trailing pipe commands:

| tstats `summariesonly` values(Authentication.app) AS app count from datamodel=Authentication.Authentication WHERE Authentication.user!="unknown" by Authentication.action,Authentication.user 
| `drop_dm_object_name("Authentication")`
| eval success=if(action="success",count,0),failure=if(action="failure",count,0)
| stats values(app) as app,sum(failure) as failure,sum(success) as success by user
| where success > 0
| xswhere failure from failures_by_src_count_1d in authentication is above medium
| sort - failure
| eval failure = tostring('failure',"commas"), success = tostring('success',"commas")

We can also use the "|from datamodel" syntax:

| from datamodel:"Authentication"."Authentication" 
| search user="malicious_user" errorCode="AccessDenied" 
| stats count by app

Can you provide some additional info about what data model you're working with, and maybe a sample of the search you have so far?

0 Karma

responsys_cm
Builder

I'm not trying to search the data model, I am trying to feed data into it. I want to run something like this:

sourcetype=qualys earliest=-30d@d | eventstats max(_time) AS last_scan by dest | where _time=last_scan

That will give me the most recent scan of all hosts over the last 30 days. I want that in a data model since tscollect and namespaces aren't supported on search head clusters.

0 Karma

zonistj
Path Finder

I understand now. Thank you for the clarification.

I think your best bet is to feed events into the data model and then create a separate search or report that pulls out the latest scan events. I'll try a few things to see if I can get it to work and let you know.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...