Splunk Search

Incomplete UserID

sgabriel1962
Explorer

How to I eliminate partial user id characters coming out of a search query?   Here are examples of incomplete userIDs - whereupon they shouldnt appear at all:   The middle GSA line is the correct example userID- the rest is garbage and I want to eliminate that

"1206931120@GSA.GOV"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this (assuming this pattern matches your valid user ids!)

index=* action=fail* OR action=block* (source=win*security OR sourcetype=linux_secure OR tag=authentication) user=* user!="" user!="*@domanname" user!="USX*" user!="sec-gsa-scan" user!="host/WS Authentication" user!=USERNAME 
| regex user="[^\"]+@[^\"]+"
| bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user src _time | stats sum(count) as count by user | sort – count

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are you obtaining the user IDs in the first place?  Is the field not extracted properly?  Is the search not looking for the right thing?  How can Splunk distinguish a valid ID from an invalid one?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What pattern represents the valid user ids?

(?<userid>[^\"]+@[^\"]+)

https://regex101.com/r/sn0WLe/1

0 Karma

sgabriel1962
Explorer

where do I find this as Im using defaults coming out of the Windows TA

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps you should tell us a bit more about what you are trying to do - since you posted this in the Splunk Search section, I presume this is part of a search, perhaps for a dashboard or a report? If so, what do you have so far?

0 Karma

sgabriel1962
Explorer

We are configuring for Brute Force login attempts, failures obviously.  Here is the search string we have put together as we are working from TAs coming from Splunkbase.   

index=* action=fail* OR action=block* (source=win*security OR sourcetype=linux_secure OR tag=authentication) user=* user!="" user!="*@domanname" user!="USX*" user!="sec-gsa-scan" user!="host/WS Authentication" user!=USERNAME | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user src _time | stats sum(count) as count by user | sort – count

The list is coming back with all sorts of combinations as listed already, Im attempting to exclude IDs such as USERNAME or host/* as they dont make any sense.   I cant post much publicly but you get the idea

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this (assuming this pattern matches your valid user ids!)

index=* action=fail* OR action=block* (source=win*security OR sourcetype=linux_secure OR tag=authentication) user=* user!="" user!="*@domanname" user!="USX*" user!="sec-gsa-scan" user!="host/WS Authentication" user!=USERNAME 
| bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user src _time | stats sum(count) as count by user | sort – count

0 Karma

sgabriel1962
Explorer

I can work from this - this is great thanks = but how can I now only record login attempts > 4 and ignore all others

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For daily count > 4 per user, do this

| bucket _time span=1d | stats count by user src _time 
| where count > 4
| stats sum(count) as count by user | sort – count
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...