Splunk Search

I need a different way to join two searches

rodolfotva
Engager

Hi, I know this is a hot topic and there is answers everywhere, but i couldn't figure out by my self what to do.

Suddenly the join stops work and my search is not performing as spect anymore, nobody from infa gave me a reasonable explanation for that, so i have to figure out a different way .

Original Search

index=aws-prd-01 application.name=domestic-batch context=BATCH action=SEND_EMAIL  (status=STARTED OR status="NOT RUN")
              | rename status as initialStatus
              | fields jobId initialStatus
              | join type=left jobId [search index=aws-prd-01 application.name=domestic-batch context=BATCH action=SEND_EMAIL (status=COMPLETED OR status=FAILED)
              | rename status as finalStatus | fields jobId finalStatus]
              | table jobId initialStatus finalStatus
              | sort -timestamp

Original result

jobIdinitialStatusfinalStatus
01STARTEDCOMPLETED
02STARTEDFAILED

First search with no changes

index=aws-prd-01 application.name=domestic-batch context=BATCH action=SEND_EMAIL  (status=STARTED OR status="NOT RUN") | table jobId, status

Result

jobIdstatus
01STARTED
02STARTED

Second search with no changes

index=aws-prd-01 application.name=domestic-batch context=BATCH action=SEND_EMAIL (status=COMPLETED OR status=FAILED) | table jobId, status

Result

jobIdstatus
01COMPLETED
02FAILED

thanks a lot

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't say what the current results are for the combined query, but perhaps a different approach will work.  The two searches can be combined into a single search.

index=aws-prd-01 application.name=domestic-batch context=BATCH action=SEND_EMAIL  (status=STARTED OR status="NOT RUN" OR status=COMPLETED OR status=FAILED)
| eval initialStatus = if(status="STARTED" OR status="NOT RUN", status, null()),
       finalStatus = if (status="COMPLETED" OR status="FAILED", status, null())
| stats values(*) as * by jobId

This search avoids the limitations of join and only touches the index once.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't say what the current results are for the combined query, but perhaps a different approach will work.  The two searches can be combined into a single search.

index=aws-prd-01 application.name=domestic-batch context=BATCH action=SEND_EMAIL  (status=STARTED OR status="NOT RUN" OR status=COMPLETED OR status=FAILED)
| eval initialStatus = if(status="STARTED" OR status="NOT RUN", status, null()),
       finalStatus = if (status="COMPLETED" OR status="FAILED", status, null())
| stats values(*) as * by jobId

This search avoids the limitations of join and only touches the index once.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try to avoid using join - subsearches are limited

| eval initialStatus=if(status="STARTED" OR status="NOT RUN", status, null())
| eval finalStatus=if(status="COMPLETED" OR status="FAILED", status, null())
| stats values(initialStatus) as initialStatus values(finalStatus) as finalStatus by jobId
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...