Splunk Search

How to write a search to return all rows for each value of field_b where field_a = a, b, and c?

xcheng123
Engager

I am new to Splunk with questions below. Can anyone can help interpret the following request into a Splunk search statement?

Dataset is like below:
field_a field_b field_c
string_a b1 c1
string_b b1 c2
string_c b1 c3
string_c b2 c3
string_d b2 c4
string_d b1 c5

I am going to create a splunk search like following SQL

select*
from table
where field_a in ("string_a","string_b","string_c")
and field_b in (
select field_b from table
where field_a in ("stirng_a","string_b","string_c")
group by field_b
having count(distinct field_a) = 3)

The expectation is to return all the rows for a field_b with all where all string_a, string_b, and string_c occurred in field_a, such as:
field_a field_b field_c
string_a b1 c1
string_b b1 c2
string_c b1 c3

Thank you all in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

xcheng123
Engager

I figured this out with the following Splunk search:

index=*  (field_a=string_a OR field_a=string_b OR field_a=string_c) [search index=* (field_a=string_a OR field_a=string_b OR field_a=string_c) | eval category = case(match(field_a,"string_a"),"a",match(field_a,"string_b"),"b",match(field_a,"string_c"),"c") | stats dc(category) as dcCat by field_b | where dcCat = 3 | TABLE field_b] | eval category = case(match(field_a,"string_a"),"a",match(field_a,"string_b"),"b",match(field_a,"string_c"),"c") | Table field_a, field_b, field_c

If it is incorrect or if anyone has any other solutions, please feel free to post.
Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

xcheng123
Engager

I figured this out with the following Splunk search:

index=*  (field_a=string_a OR field_a=string_b OR field_a=string_c) [search index=* (field_a=string_a OR field_a=string_b OR field_a=string_c) | eval category = case(match(field_a,"string_a"),"a",match(field_a,"string_b"),"b",match(field_a,"string_c"),"c") | stats dc(category) as dcCat by field_b | where dcCat = 3 | TABLE field_b] | eval category = case(match(field_a,"string_a"),"a",match(field_a,"string_b"),"b",match(field_a,"string_c"),"c") | Table field_a, field_b, field_c

If it is incorrect or if anyone has any other solutions, please feel free to post.
Thanks.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't understand the reason for the subsearch, but if it works then accept the answer. I advise against using index=* for performance reasons. Use specific index names.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should get you started.

index = foo (field_a="string_a" OR field_a="string_b" OR field_a="string_c") | head 3 field_a | sort field_b
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...