Splunk Search

How to write a Splunk search for License Utilization for Particular events?

umesh
Path Finder

Hi ,

i want to find the license utilization of  firewall logs based on severity level. can anyone help me with the query on how to find the license utilization based on particular events like eventid in windows logs

Labels (5)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk's license usage log tracks utilization by index, host, source, sourcetype, and pool, but not severity.  You'll have to it yourself by adding up the sizes of all of the relevant events.  This method may not match the number calculated by Splunk, but should be close enough.

index=firewall sourcetype=firewall 
| eval size=len(_raw)
| stats sum(size) as TotalSize by severity
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

You can approximate license utilization by counting the number of events instead of calculating the exact size. This is faster and could meet your use case.

For example, windows event log:

<base search>
| top 100 EventCode 

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk's license usage log tracks utilization by index, host, source, sourcetype, and pool, but not severity.  You'll have to it yourself by adding up the sizes of all of the relevant events.  This method may not match the number calculated by Splunk, but should be close enough.

index=firewall sourcetype=firewall 
| eval size=len(_raw)
| stats sum(size) as TotalSize by severity
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...