Splunk Search

How to use timechart and streamstats

hartfoml
Motivator

I have a search that will show me the top 3 processes like this

host=foo sourcetype=top | timechart span=1m sum(pctCPU) BY COMMAND limit=3 useother=f

I want to add the total line to the top three to combine them into one total CPU line.

I tried this but it did not work host=foo sourcetype=top | timechart span=1m sum(pctCPU) BY COMMAND limit=3 useother=f | streamstats sum(pctCPU) as TOTAL

Any help would be appreciated

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

YOu need to use foreach command for that OR addtotals

host=foo sourcetype=top | timechart span=1m sum(pctCPU) BY COMMAND limit=3 useother=f | addtotals

or

host=foo sourcetype=top | timechart span=1m sum(pctCPU) BY COMMAND limit=3 useother=f | eval Total=0| foreach * [eval Total=Total+'<<FIELD>>']

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this (NOTE: You should not use sum the way that you were):

host=foo sourcetype=top | timechart span=1m avg(pctCPU) BY COMMAND limit=3 useother=f
| eval _combined = 0
| foreach * [ eval _combined = _combined + <<FIELD>> ]
| eval _combined = _combined/3
| rename _combined AS combined
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

I don't think you want line 4 to be in there for "total" cpu time.

Is there any functional advantage to using _combined rather than combined? The code seems to function the same either way. Perhaps a useful personal naming convention for working fields?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It is as nonsensical to have a "sum of percentages" as it is to have a "total average". I am making a guess at what he is really needing to do, given that the metric that he is working with is an "average" of sorts ( pctCPU ). It makes NO SENSE to do sum(pctCPU); that's the point. Therefore, my line 4 is necessary to continue working as averages (sum the 3 and divide by 3). The trick of using _combined vs. combined is so that when you do foreach *, the wildcard will not include the "invisible" ( _* ) fields. Try this:

| makeresults 
| eval a=1, b=2, c=3, _d=4, e=5
| eval _clump="clumped:" 
| foreach * [eval _clump = _clump . <<FIELD>>]
| rename _clump AS clump

Notice that the value for _d is not included and notice also that clumped only appears once. Notice the "brokenness" of this, which would otherwise require extra gymnastics inside of the foreach:

| makeresults 
| eval a=1, b=2, c=3, _d=4, e=5
| eval clump="clumped:" 
| foreach * [eval clump = clump . <<FIELD>>]
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...