Splunk Search

How to use forwarder

balajsoz
Path Finder

Hi,
I have installed splunk forwarder in the same machine where splunk is installed.i need to know is that correct?or i need to install the forwarder in a different machine from where the splunk should pick the data or to monitor the data?pls help

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Wilcooley
Path Finder

The Splunk forwarder package is a subset of the Splunk package, installed into a different directory, so adding the forwarder is redundant since the installed Splunk package can do all of the file monitoring that the forwarder does. I would be surprised if you can have them both running at the same time.

View solution in original post

wagnerbianchi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Normally, the Splunk Universal Forwarder is used to consolidate machine data from remote machines, collecting and forwarding information to a Splunk Instance (in a sense of centralization).

In case you are setting up a Forwarder on the same machine as Splunk Instance just for a test, it's pretty acceptable, but, this is not the case to apply in production.

There is a online Universal Forwarder manual which is pretty straightforward:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Introducingtheuniversalforwarder

Give you a chance to read and understand more about that...

Cheers, WB

0 Karma

Wilcooley
Path Finder

The Splunk forwarder package is a subset of the Splunk package, installed into a different directory, so adding the forwarder is redundant since the installed Splunk package can do all of the file monitoring that the forwarder does. I would be surprised if you can have them both running at the same time.

Drainy
Champion

If you make the relevant configuration changes you could run them on the same machine at the same time, but the use-cases for this are pretty minimal. In most instances you're better off configuring the indexer to index and forward.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...