Splunk Search

How to transform nested json into separate rows?

nvwls

Given json with hashes

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="{\"yes\":true,\"no\":false,\"a\":{\"x\":0,\"y\":0,\"z\":0},\"c\":{\"x\":1,\"y\":2,\"z\":3},\"d\":{\"x\":1,\"y\":4,\"z\":9}}"
| spath

"a", "c", and "d" are nested hashes. There are other fields, "yes" and "no" that are not hashes.

What I am trying to do filter out non-hashes and then split into multiple row.

Name x y z
a 0 0 0
c 1 2 3
d 1 4 9

The tricky part is that the top level field names, "yes", "no", "a", "c", "d" are not constant. However the sub fields "x", "y", "z" are.

Thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First pass...

This works

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="{\"yes\":true,\"no\":false,\"a\":{\"x\":0,\"y\":0,\"z\":0},\"c\":{\"x\":1,\"y\":2,\"z\":3},\"d\":{\"x\":1,\"y\":4,\"z\":9}}"
| spath
| fields - _time _raw
| fields *.*
| foreach *.* [ eval name=mvappend("<<MATCHSEG1>>", name), name=mvdedup(name) ]
| mvexpand name
| foreach *.* [ | eval <<MATCHSEG2>>=if("<<MATCHSEG1>>"=name, '<<FIELD>>', '<<MATCHSEG2>>') ]
| fields - *.*

Bit clunky, there may be a better way...

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

fields *.* only leaves the n.n fields so removes top level fields.

the first foreach collects the unique top level names and then expands them to create the rows

Second foreach collects the x, y, z values

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...