Splunk Search

How to search windows interactive logon from the Authentication data model?

dbroggy
Path Finder

Hi there,

Is it possible to search for windows interactive logons from the Authentication data model?

eg. I can do it this way:

index=* source="*WinEventLog:Security" LogonType=2 OR LogonType=10 OR LogonType=11

And I'm looking for an equivalent way using a data model eg:

| tstats summariesonly=true count from datamodel=Authentication by Authentication.action Authentication.app Authentication.dest Authentication.signature Authentication.src Authentication.src_user Authentication.user
|search <SOME LOGIC>

Thank you!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@dbroggy - The Authentication data model does not have a field called "LogonType". 

• You can clone the Authentication data model and add this additional field for your use case.

If this is the only query and performance is not a big problem I would suggest writing a regular query rather than creating a cloned version of data model as that will create additional search loads on Splunk servers.

If performance is a big problem you can use summary indexing or report acceleration as that would be much better for overall Splunk performance.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't see any fields in the datamodel which would map to the LogonType value. So you can't search for it from the existing datamodel. You'd have to make a copy of the datamodel and add new field to it.

But the question is whether there is a point since the CIM datamodels are meant to serve as a layer of abstraction separating the search using the datamodel from the gory details of particular data implementation. And your LogonType field is very implementation-specific. So from the data engineering point of view, it's not s pretty solution. If you want to have it only because you want to use data model acceleration, there are other ways to accelerate your searches.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...