Splunk Search

How to search for a pair of substrings in a subsearch to filter my results?

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi at all,
I have a lookup with two fields:

• field1
  • field2

I have to filter a search using the pairs of the two fields:

• aaa bbb
  • aaa ccc
  • ddd eee
  • fff ggg
  • hhh iii
  • hhh jjj
  • hhh kkk

My problem is that in my search I don't have fields in which to search for the two values, but I have to search them as strings

2016-12-06 13:04:27,819 133063049 [pool-8-thread-2] ERROR loggerinformation.internal.it.copergmps ? - Code <5017> Type <1> descr < [WebContainer : 45] EJBException{HASERVICES}it.coper.soa.agg_v03.serv.aaa03Bean :

I'm trying to search for the strings aaa and bbb in the last line. I know how to search using a subsearch as substring but I don't know how to search two substrings.

Someone can help me?

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
1 Solution

gokadroid
Motivator

Scenario looks similar to one I answered here where you need to match the text in a lookup with the events first and then also table out the values which were used to match in the events together with entire event:

Logic being:

• Outer search matches your lookup strings in events
• Rename _raw as rawText so not to lose it downstream
• Take out all the strings in your lookup in a field called foo
• Split foo as multivalue field
• Expand the field foo and match it piecemeal in your rawText.
• When matched table it out with rawText and foo. 

You can modify it accordingly, specifically this comment query.

View solution in original post

gokadroid
Motivator

Scenario looks similar to one I answered here where you need to match the text in a lookup with the events first and then also table out the values which were used to match in the events together with entire event:

Logic being:

• Outer search matches your lookup strings in events
• Rename _raw as rawText so not to lose it downstream
• Take out all the strings in your lookup in a field called foo
• Split foo as multivalue field
• Expand the field foo and match it piecemeal in your rawText.
• When matched table it out with rawText and foo. 

You can modify it accordingly, specifically this comment query.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have an error in eval command: expression malformed

| eval foo=[ | inputlookup funz.csv | search funz="Anagrafe" | eval query=serv | eval query=mvjoin(query,",") | fields query | format "" "" "" "" "" "" ]

where I'm going wrong?
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok the problem is that I forgot to use stats command to aggregate results that are very many!
Every way now runs, slowly, but runs!
Thank you.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

See if this helps...

index=foo sourcetype=bar [| inputlookup somecsv.csv | eval search=field1." OR ".field2 | return search] | rest of your search
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thank you sundareshr ,
I already tryed using query

| eval query="*"+lookup_field1+"* *"+lookup_field2+"*" | fields query

And in this way I find results in my main search, but the problem is that I need the query values of each event.
Is there a way to pass the query value bot as value and as a field from a subsearch?
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Not sure I understand. Can you share some sample? You want eval x_{lookup_field1}=lookup_field1 | rename x_* AS *?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

this is my search

index=syslog
[ | inputlookup funz.csv 
   | eval query="*"+serv+"* *"+oper+"*" 
   | fields query
    ]
| stats values(serv) AS serv values(oper) AS oper count by field1 fields2

where "serv" and "oper" are lookup fields that I have to use to search in text search in my main search.
My problem is that before stats command there isn't a field called "query" to show.

I need to show a stat by field1 and field2, but I have to show also serv and oper and I don't know how to take them.

Thank you.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Does the lookup file have field1 and/or field2? If not, how do you decide which serv/oper pair maps to which event in syslog?

I'm thinking, something like this

index=syslog
 [ | inputlookup funz.csv 
    | eval query="*"+serv+"* *"+oper+"*" 
    | fields query
     ]
| lookup funz.csv field1 OUTPUT serv oper
| stats values(serv) AS serv values(oper) AS oper count by field1 fields2
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

my lookup has both the fields.
The problem is that I use serv and oper in text search not in a field search so to do this I have to use query field, and in this case query value isn't stored in a field.
In other words I don't know how to have query value in a field.
I have to use both of them, but there is the problem also with one of them.
In your example I haven't field1 in my search result because serv and oper are a substring of my row, see the following example
2016-12-06 13:04:27,819 133063049 [pool-8-thread-2] ERROR loggerinformation.internal.it.copergmps ? - Code Type descr < [WebContainer : 45] EJBException{HASERVICES}it.coper.soa.agg_v03.serv.aaa03Bean :
serv=aaa oper=bbb
as you can see aaa is a part of it.coper.soa.agg_v03.serv.aaa03Bean and bbb is a part of
aggbbb but they arent fields of my result.
In other words if I could use the "query" field after subsearch I'd solve my problems.
Or if it could be possible to store a value in a variable setted in my subsearch and used after pipe.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

How about this?

| inputlookup funz.csv | fields serv oper | map search="index=syslog $serv$ $oper$ | eval oper=\"$oper\"$ | eval serv=\"$serv$\""
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have no results and this message in Process Inspector
The search result count (493) exceeds maximum (10), using max. To override it, set maxsearches appropriately.
Unable to run query 'index=....
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Add maxsearches option to the max command.

| inputlookup funz.csv | fields serv oper | map maxsearches=500 search="index=syslog $serv$ $oper$ | eval oper=\"$oper\"$ | eval serv=\"$serv$\""
0 Karma

jmallorquin
Builder

Hi cusello,

Mayby you should use the rename command, review this part of the documentation if helps:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Search/Changetheformatofsubsearchresults

hope i help you

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jmallorquin,
my problem is that I have fields in lookup but not in search.
I have to search using only values not fields and I did it using query.
But the problem is that I need to know the query values (there are two values for each lookup row) that are satisfied by each result.
But query value isn't recorded in any field.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

I am little unclear what you mean.

Are you saying that the two fields will appear in the raw events as a concatenated string like "aaabbb", "dddeee", "hhhjjj", etc?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...