Splunk Search

How to read an array of fields from a single event and make into different records ?

JP
Explorer

Hi,

In Splunk, I have Test Automation results logs which has details like Test case name, Test Status, Error, Duration, Date etc in multiple events. Each event has nearly 25 - 20 test cases details in an array. I need to fetch each test case as a single record. 

JP_1-1626453900513.png

When I use spath, it is fetching the fields, but all the test case of a single event is written as a single record.

index=jenkins OR source=\test OR job_name:"Dev/TestAutomation/Regression"| spath

I am very new to Splunk. Is there any way by which I can write each testcase details as a single record. With these details, my requirement is to create an Regression Test Automation dashboard.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, as I showed, you need to extract the array as a multivalue field, mvexpand that, then extract the sub-elements of those

index=jenkins* host=opsdev-app-jenkins.route53.com source="/test"
| search job_name=Dev/TestAutomation/Cert1_Regression
| spath path=testsuite.testcase{} output=testcase
| mvexpand testcase
| spath input=testcase path=classname output=tclassname
| spath input=testcase path=testname output=testname
| spath input=testcase path=status output=status
| rename metadata.Nexis.Auto.Environment AS Environment
| table job_started_at job_duration job_name Environment tclassname testname status

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this (you may have to adjust because it is difficult to read images so I may have got the structure wrong):

| mvexpand testcase
0 Karma

JP
Explorer

@ITWhisperer  Even after running this query, when I view the search result in the Tabular view, I still see multiple testcasenames, status etc clubbed together in one event. Below is a screenshot of a single event which has the testcase and status together. For my requirement to create a dashboard, I would like to have each of these as a single event.

JP_0-1626709426782.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you do this instead of your spath? Try this to also extract the elements from testcase:

| mvexpand testcase
| spath input=testcase
0 Karma

JP
Explorer

@ITWhisperer Yes I did the command that you gave me. Do you mean to say that I have to do a  separate spath for each field that I need ? 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want separate event from an array, you need to extract the array to a multivalue field, then expand the multivalue field to separate events, then you can extract elements of the array.

0 Karma

JP
Explorer

@ITWhisperer - Thanks I understand and it worked to change the grouped events to single events. But the issue now is the events are very repetitive. I tried to use dedup command, but still there are N number of duplicates and the records are not coming in the right mapping. The data is so jumbled up. Following is the command that I used. 

| spath path=testsuite.testcase{}.classname output=tclassname
| spath path=testsuite.testcase{}.testname output=testname
| spath path=testsuite.testcase{}.status output=status
| mvexpand tclassname
| mvexpand testname
| mvexpand status
| table job_started_at job_duration job_name Environment tclassname testname status

I have been trying to find something that will help me to map data rightly and avoid duplicates, but I unable to find the solution. Is there anything I could do to avoid duplicates and jumbling up of data ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, as I showed, you need to extract the array as a multivalue field, mvexpand that, then extract the sub-elements of those

| mvexpand testcase
| spath input=testcase path=classname output=tclassname
| spath input=testcase path=testname output=testname
| spath input=testcase path=status output=status
0 Karma

JP
Explorer

@ITWhisperer I understood the concept and it works perfectly. Thank you!

0 Karma

JP
Explorer

@efika The results are still remaining the same. One event has multiple values. Tried exactly the same. 

[ eval new_field=mvappend(new_field,'<<FIELD>>')]

In the <<FIELD>>, I gave the multivalue field. I hope that is right?

0 Karma

efika
Communicator

@JP ,

You should keep the '<<FIELD>>', this is the variable for the foreach loop (see the docs https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.1/SearchReference/Foreach)

0 Karma

JP
Explorer

Thanks @efika for replying.

0 Karma

efika
Communicator

My pleasure. I'm glad I could do something to help someone today.

0 Karma

efika
Communicator

Hi @JP ,

I hope I understood correctly what you are trying to do, if so maybe this will enable you to progress toward a solution (Working on the Win Events for demo sake) :

index=main sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog 
| fields _raw 
| spath 
| foreach Event.System.* 
    [ eval new_field=mvappend(new_field,'<<FIELD>>')] 
| table new_field 
| mvexpand new_field
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...