Splunk Search

How to pull events with multiple sourcetype

rakesh44
Communicator

I am searching events with specific multiple sourcetype, but getting extra sourcetype.Kindly refer attached file.

Am searching sourcetype=splunkd OR sourcetype=splunkd_access

index="_internal" sourcetype=splunkd OR sourcetype=splunkd_access OR component=root OR component=Metrics | stats count(eval(component="Metrics")) as Metrics_count, count(eval(component="root")) as Root_count by sourcetype

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

splunk_sv
Path Finder

It is due to the OR condition you have in your search query.

index="_internal" sourcetype="splunkd" OR sourcetype="splunkd_access" OR component=root OR component=Metrics | rest  of the search

It will bring all records which satisfies anyone of the condition, and when a record is found with "component=root" it is of sourcetype splunk_web_service.
So, if you don't want records from a particular sourcetype you can either filter that out using where clause or you can update your search to have AND condition as shown in the below command,

index="_internal" sourcetype="splunkd" OR sourcetype="splunkd_access" AND (component=root OR component=Metrics) |rest of the search

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aojie654
Path Finder

I'm agree with @whrg.

In my opinion, I think the boolean operators ( AND, OR, NOT) command should be included in "( )" such as index="_internal" (sourcetype=splunkd OR sourcetype=splunkd_access) (component=root OR component=Metric)
When you are using command "search" without any boolean operators, splunk will fill an AND between the search conditions. For example, index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd is equals that index=_internal AND sourcetype=splunkd.
In your case, sourcetype=* and component=* are not conflicting conditions so maybe you should better to use AND or nothing between them.

0 Karma

splunk_sv
Path Finder

It is due to the OR condition you have in your search query.

index="_internal" sourcetype="splunkd" OR sourcetype="splunkd_access" OR component=root OR component=Metrics | rest  of the search

It will bring all records which satisfies anyone of the condition, and when a record is found with "component=root" it is of sourcetype splunk_web_service.
So, if you don't want records from a particular sourcetype you can either filter that out using where clause or you can update your search to have AND condition as shown in the below command,

index="_internal" sourcetype="splunkd" OR sourcetype="splunkd_access" AND (component=root OR component=Metrics) |rest of the search
0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

I believe you have too many "OR"s.

Try this:

index="_internal" sourcetype=splunkd OR sourcetype=splunkd_access component=root OR component=Metrics | stats count(eval(component="Metrics")) as Metrics_count, count(eval(component="root")) as Root_count by sourcetype

Written differently:

index="_internal" (sourcetype=splunkd OR sourcetype=splunkd_access) AND (component=root OR component=Metrics) | stats count(eval(component="Metrics")) as Metrics_count, count(eval(component="root")) as Root_count by sourcetype
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...