Splunk Search

How to parse a log file with multiple types of records?

vtsco

I have a log file with multiple line patterns. Something like this:

[name] [surname] [address] [phone] [birthdate] [lastlogin]
[key] [value]
[timestamp] [username] [url] [errcode] [srcip] [dstip]
[field1] [field2] [field3] [field4]

There are multiple types of records in this file and each record type must be dealt with differently. Each record has its own fields and they rarely overlap.

I need to extract each field in each record and then process them. How could I do that? Should I write a regex for each record type? Where should I put these regexes?

I've been searching for a solution, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use props and transforms to extract the fields you need using regex. Its not a problem if you build a single regex for each distinct field.
Are the lines related to each other? meaning "[key] [value]" can belong to the same event as "[timestamp] [username] [url] [errcode] [srcip] [dstip]". If so, you can just the way splunk looks at your data and build a multi-line event. If they are not related then you might have an issue, since splunk indexes data based on the time stamp and for the looks of it, if they don't related, only one event has timestamp.
It easier to help you if you post a sanitized example of diferent events of you raw data.

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...