Splunk Search

How to monitor deviation to log volume?

Splunk77
Explorer

I am trying to monitor drop in events per index. What is the best way to get a baseline and detect deviation to the volume? I am more interesting in drop in events and not increase.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Start with per_index_thruput in _internal.  It's just a sample and has natural ups and downs, but may give you something to work with.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd source=*metrics.log* group=per_index_thruput
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Splunk77
Explorer

What I am looking for might be something even simpler. If I can get the total log volume per day and set up a threshold for alerting that will work. I was thinking log volume for most indexes (log sources) do tend to drop on the weekends. Perhaps there is a threshold that can be set up based on the day of the week. Weekends vs week days. Any such way to accomplish this?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the Monitoring Console to see if it has a query that comes close to what you want.

As for accounting for weekends and holidays, you probably should look at the Machine Learning Toolkit (MLTK).  It has algorithms that can detect trends in your data and help find when the trends break.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Start with per_index_thruput in _internal.  It's just a sample and has natural ups and downs, but may give you something to work with.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd source=*metrics.log* group=per_index_thruput
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...