Splunk Search

How to monitor USB plug and remove on server 2008 R2?

aojie654
Path Finder
Component: Search Head, Indexer
Product:     Splunk Enterprise
Version:    7.2.1

Component: Forwarder
Product:     Splunk Universal Forwarder
Version:    6.3.13, 7.2.0

My customer has asked me to monitoring USB Storage changes on windows server 2003, 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, so I referenced the doc of wmi.conf in Admin Manual just like follow:

[WMI:USBChanges]
interval = 1
wql = select * from __InstanceOperationEvent within 1 where TargetInstance ISA 'Win32_PnPEntity' and TargetInstance.Description='USB Mass Storage Device'
disabled = 0
current_only = 1

I used the same wmi.conf and that went well on server 2003 and 2012 R2, BUT THAT'S NO USE ON 2008 R2 even I had add line use_old_eventlog_api = true in the [WMI:USBChanges] stanza. So I tried to get info from registry and failed too. Is that no an efficacious way on that OS?

0 Karma
1 Solution

aojie654
Path Finder

Hi, guys:
the issues has been solved, I think the reason is the data on 2008 R2 are slower than other platform, so it misleading me that I can't receive the data of 2008 R2.
I use the same wmi.conf on deployment server, and all work well.

At last, I referred the following link:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/46178/deploying-wmi-conf-for-windows-universal-forwarders-with-de...

Thanks to @iunderwood !

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In my experience the best place to monitor for devices being connected/disconnected is the windows registry. There’s more details there than the WMI can provide.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-device-specific-registry-settin...

I would caution against WMI. Running this query every second is a terrible practice.

0 Karma

aojie654
Path Finder

I will seriously consider this good suggestion, thanks for your reply 😜

aojie654
Path Finder

Hi, guys:
the issues has been solved, I think the reason is the data on 2008 R2 are slower than other platform, so it misleading me that I can't receive the data of 2008 R2.
I use the same wmi.conf on deployment server, and all work well.

At last, I referred the following link:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/46178/deploying-wmi-conf-for-windows-universal-forwarders-with-de...

Thanks to @iunderwood !

0 Karma

aojie654
Path Finder

Hi, thanks a lot for ur reply!

I had checked the following link and I found that the 1st and the 3rd links are using for 2012 and later, and the 2nd link is returns me the error 404.

But I want to say thanks to u for ur help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...