Splunk Search

In a search, how would I get the difference between the primary region and all other regions?

kiamco
Path Finder

I have this query that is supposed to get the difference between the primary region and all other regions, but for some reason nothing is being returned for d_*

| eval ms_region=rtrim("region_"+ms_zone, "abcdefgh") 
    |chart count OVER tenant_id by ms_region
    |rename region_ap-southeast-1 as "primary_region"
    | rename region* as r*
    |foreach r* [eval d_<<MATCHSTR>>=primary_region - <<FIELD>>]

here is my table:

tenant_id   primary_region  r_ap-northeast-1    r_ap-south-1    r_us-east-1         r_us-west-1
18                 60         0                0                    0                     0
344              370          0                0                    0                     0
366             3505          0                23                   0                    0
441             1323          0                0                    0                       0   

My expected result would be to add columns like d_$region1$ d_$region2$, d_$region3$, which would contain the difference of the primary region and other regions.

I tried debugging it and found out, for some reason, <<FIELD>> in the foreach doesn't return anything.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

aholzer
Motivator

You were almost there, just add single quotes (') around your <<FIELD>> reference and it should work as you expected:

| makeresults 
| eval primary_region = 60 
| eval r_ap-ne = 0 
| eval r_ap-s = 23 
| eval r_us-e = 0 
| eval r_us-w = 0
| foreach r* [ eval d<<MATCHSTR>> = primary_region - '<<FIELD>>' ]

This results in:

_time               d_ap-ne d_ap-s  d_us-e  d_us-w  primary_region  r_ap-ne r_ap-s  r_us-e  r_us-w
2018-11-29 13:35:31 60      37      60      60          60              0       23      0       0

Hope this helps

---EDIT---
The reason it fails in your search is because your field names have dashes (-) in them. When Splunk parses that out into the eval, the dash is treated as a mathematical minus so you get the equivalent of primary_region - 'r_ap' - 'northeast' - 1. And neither r_ap, nor northeast are fields that exist. By applying the single quotes, Splunk treats the entire string as a single field name.

View solution in original post

aholzer
Motivator

You were almost there, just add single quotes (') around your <<FIELD>> reference and it should work as you expected:

| makeresults 
| eval primary_region = 60 
| eval r_ap-ne = 0 
| eval r_ap-s = 23 
| eval r_us-e = 0 
| eval r_us-w = 0
| foreach r* [ eval d<<MATCHSTR>> = primary_region - '<<FIELD>>' ]

This results in:

_time               d_ap-ne d_ap-s  d_us-e  d_us-w  primary_region  r_ap-ne r_ap-s  r_us-e  r_us-w
2018-11-29 13:35:31 60      37      60      60          60              0       23      0       0

Hope this helps

---EDIT---
The reason it fails in your search is because your field names have dashes (-) in them. When Splunk parses that out into the eval, the dash is treated as a mathematical minus so you get the equivalent of primary_region - 'r_ap' - 'northeast' - 1. And neither r_ap, nor northeast are fields that exist. By applying the single quotes, Splunk treats the entire string as a single field name.

cmerriman
Super Champion

you can review the foreach documentation here

0 Karma

kiamco
Path Finder

Thanks for pointing that out @aholzer , I have been trying to debug this query for hours and totally forgot that it needed a (')

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...