Splunk Search

How to make search efficient with spath and regex

vjzone
Path Finder

How can I make this search efficient?

earliest=-1m source="/var/log/aws/opsworks/opsworks-agent.statistics.log"  host="*prod*" Reported statistics data
| dedup host
| rex field=_raw "Reported statistics data: (?<json>.*)\N"
| fields json, host
| spath input=json
| rename stats.memory.free as memFree, stats.memory.total as memtotal
| eval memFreePer=memFree/memtotal*100
| table host, memFreePer, stats.cpu.idle
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is not greater efficiency to be had other than to explicitly specify an index; here is that along with some other clarification adjustments:

index="YouShouldAlwaysSpecifyAnIndex" AND source="/var/log/aws/opsworks/opsworks-agent.statistics.log" AND host="prod" AND Reported AND statistics AND data
| dedup host
| rex "Reported statistics data: (?<json>.*)\N"
| fields json host
| spath input=json
| rename stats.memory.free AS memFree, stats.memory.total AS memtotal
| eval memFreePer = 100 * memFree / memtotal

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is not greater efficiency to be had other than to explicitly specify an index; here is that along with some other clarification adjustments:

index="YouShouldAlwaysSpecifyAnIndex" AND source="/var/log/aws/opsworks/opsworks-agent.statistics.log" AND host="prod" AND Reported AND statistics AND data
| dedup host
| rex "Reported statistics data: (?<json>.*)\N"
| fields json host
| spath input=json
| rename stats.memory.free AS memFree, stats.memory.total AS memtotal
| eval memFreePer = 100 * memFree / memtotal

vjzone
Path Finder

Thanks Jpolvino. Unfortunately splunk is administered by another group and I'll have to raise a request for it.

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

Is it possible for stats.memory.free and stats.memory.total to be extracted as fields as the log is ingested? This would save you search-time overhead and the cost of some disk space and ingest overhead.

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

Thanks woodcock. Every one of our logs has index=main, which is why i chose to ignore it. Apart from that, is the query alright?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, efficiency-wise, there is nothing to do, but there some best-practices that provide additional clarity as shown in my answer. Is ALL of your data in index=main or just the data you need for this purpose? If the former, you should REALLY fix that. In any case, do not ever run a search without specifying index= somewhere.

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

Yes every application log is with index=main. I have asked for a change and it'll hopefully happen soon.

Appreciate your response.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What makes you think it's inefficient? What does Job Inspector say?
Have you tried replacing 'Reported statistics data' with ' "Reported statistics data:" ' in the base search?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

Its not too bad. I was wondering if there was a better way to do this. Since it has both regex and spath and also an eval

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...