Splunk Search

How to join two searches?

skphi13

I need help joining the following 2 searches.

Search 1:

app="atlas" source="/usr/local/homeaway/atlas-production/logs/*" index="aws_prod_applogs" titan | stats avg(*responseTime) by date_mday

Search 2:

app="atlas" source="/usr/local/homeaway/atlas-production/logs/*" index="aws_prod_applogs" titan statusCode=200 | stats avg(*responseTime) by date_mday

I tried using Join and Append but it's no working.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Assuming all your events have a status code, you can do it one:

app="atlas" source="/usr/local/homeaway/atlas-production/logs/*" index="aws_prod_applogs" titan statusCode=* 
|  eventstats sum(*responseTime) as total* count as count_events by date_mday
|  where status=200
| stats max(total*) as total* max(count_events) as count_events avg(*responseTime) as avg_*responseTime_200 by status date_mday
|  foreach total* 
    [eval <<FIELD>>=<<FIELD>>/count_events]
|  rename total* as avg*_all_status

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

You should see something like this:alt text

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Assuming all your events have a status code, you can do it one:

app="atlas" source="/usr/local/homeaway/atlas-production/logs/*" index="aws_prod_applogs" titan statusCode=* 
|  eventstats sum(*responseTime) as total* count as count_events by date_mday
|  where status=200
| stats max(total*) as total* max(count_events) as count_events avg(*responseTime) as avg_*responseTime_200 by status date_mday
|  foreach total* 
    [eval <<FIELD>>=<<FIELD>>/count_events]
|  rename total* as avg*_all_status
0 Karma

skphi13

this is what i get alt text

0 Karma

skphi13

Yes all event should have a status code. When i tried running this, nothing shows up.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Ah sorry in my test search I had just status. Change status to statsCode and you should be good to go

0 Karma

skphi13

so it does return events but no statistics or visualization.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Er that has a stats command in there, it can't return events unless you're running in verbose mode, in which case just switch to the relevant tab

0 Karma

skphi13

i switch it to smart mode and ran the search again and nothing. I even change the timeframe to the last 7 days. I have posted the picture of the results but it's awaiting moderator approval.

0 Karma

skphi13

it's showing 0 events, but i know that's incorrect

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

OK, step back through the search.

ie I assume you get events for this:

So just keep adding the search commands until you find the one that breaks it. Most likely it is a misnamed field

0 Karma

skphi13

so i ran the following in smart mode

app="atlas" source="/usr/local/homeaway/atlas-production/logs/" index="aws_prod_applogs" titan statusCode= | eventstats sum(responseTime) as total count as count_events by date_mday

It returns a bunch of events but no stats...

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Eventstats will add the stats to each event - this is so you can calculate the averages of all events even after dropping the others

0 Karma

skphi13

yea so when i ran the serach with eventstats no statistics show up in the results. But when i ran it with stats the statistics shows up in the result.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

See in the stats command you have by status

Change that to statusCode

0 Karma

skphi13

it works! thanks for pointing out that small details.

0 Karma

hortonew
Builder

I believe with stats you need appendcols not append. For instance:

| appendcols [search app="atlas" source="/usr/local/homeaway/atlas-production/logs/*" index="aws_prod_applogs" titan statusCode=200 | stats avg(*responseTime) by date_mday]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...