Splunk Search

How to get data by _time

Learner
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

index=xyz source="something"
|stats earliest(_time) as minTime latest(_time) as maxTime values(activityName) as activityName values(accessSeekerId) as accessSeekerId values(businessChannel) as businessChannel values(status) as status values(ttStatus) as ttStatus values(feature) as feature by requestId
| eval duration = maxTime - minTime 
| stats avg(duration) AS "AvgResponseTime" perc95(duration) AS "P95ResponseTime"

If I run this script for a day  then I get some non-zero value for AvgResponseTime and P95ResponseTime also get different values for minTime and maxTime.

But if i run following script for same time, I get same values for minTime  and maxTime.

|bin _time span=1d
|stats earliest(_time) as minTime latest(_time) as maxTime values(activityName) as activityName values(accessSeekerId) as accessSeekerId values(businessChannel) as businessChannel values(status) as status values(ttStatus) as ttStatus values(feature) as feature by requestId _time
|| eval Time=strftime(_time , "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M") 
| stats avg(duration) AS "AvgResponseTime" perc95(duration) AS "P95ResponseTime" by Time

At the end I get 0 for AvgResponseTime and P95ResponseTime which is not matching with above query as value of duration gets as 0.

I want output of based on each day AvgResponseTime and P95ResponseTime 

I hope I give clear idea about my issue. What would I do to resolve this?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

bin will set all the times to the beginning of the day, so when you do stats by the same field, they will all be the same - hence 0 duration. Use bin to set up a different field (day) and do stats by that, thus leaving _time undisturbed

|bin _time span=1d as day
|stats earliest(_time) as minTime latest(_time) as maxTime values(activityName) as activityName values(accessSeekerId) as accessSeekerId values(businessChannel) as businessChannel values(status) as status values(ttStatus) as ttStatus values(feature) as feature by requestId day
|| eval Time=strftime(day, "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M") 
| stats avg(duration) AS "AvgResponseTime" perc95(duration) AS "P95ResponseTime" by Time

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

bin will set all the times to the beginning of the day, so when you do stats by the same field, they will all be the same - hence 0 duration. Use bin to set up a different field (day) and do stats by that, thus leaving _time undisturbed

|bin _time span=1d as day
|stats earliest(_time) as minTime latest(_time) as maxTime values(activityName) as activityName values(accessSeekerId) as accessSeekerId values(businessChannel) as businessChannel values(status) as status values(ttStatus) as ttStatus values(feature) as feature by requestId day
|| eval Time=strftime(day, "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M") 
0 Karma

Learner
Path Finder

thank you very much @ITWhisperer . it solved some part of my problem. i checked the values for "AvgResponseTime" and "P95ResponseTime" and they are not matching. Suppose i ran my code without filtering _time, i get values as 0.4 and 1.7 to "AvgResponseTime" and "P95ResponseTime" respectively. but if i use your code i get average values of  "AvgResponseTime" and "P95ResponseTime"  as 0.4 and 1.9 respectively. why is that so? and how to solve this?

thanks, in advance!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do your two searches look like?

0 Karma

Learner
Path Finder

Query which I specified, is my actual query. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...