Splunk Search

How to get count of field values?

karthi2809
Builder

Hi All,

How to count field values.The field extracted and showing 55 .When i use below query:

| stats count by content.scheduleDetails.lastRunTime

it will give all the values with counts

| stats dc(content.scheduleDetails.lastRunTime) AS lastRunTime

its showing 55 counts.
my output as:

content.scheduleDetails.lastRunTime     Count
02/FEB/2024 08:22:19 AM 9
02/FEB/2024 08:21:19 AM 63
03/FEB/2024 08:22:19 AM 7

Expected output as only total count of the field:

Labels (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

If you want only total count then just drop "by ..."  away from your 1st example.

If needed add 

| where isnotnull(content.scheduleDetails.lastRunTime)

before stats.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

karthi2809
Builder

Hi @isoutamo 

If i use | stats Count  i am getting value .But i want to show in pie chart. So i checked in the visualization it showing as no result.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, you can't show a single value in a pie chart. It makes no sense 🙂

So think about what you really want counted.

Also remember that the counting aggregation functions over specific fields (count and dc) count each value even within multivalued fields. That can produce results you'd not expect.

A run-anywhere example:

| makeresults count=100
| streamstats count
| eval count=tostring(count)
| eval digits=split(count,"")
| stats count as eventcount count(digits) as digitcount

It will generate a list of 100 numbers, then it will split the numbers rendered into text into separate digits. And finally it will count both the overall events (which predictably will be 100 since that's how many events we generated) and digits which will say 192 because you had 9 single-digit numbers, 90 two-digit numbers and one three-digit number which got split into 192 single digits spread among 100 events.

So be wary when using the count() and dc() aggregation functions.

karthi2809
Builder

Hi @PickleRick 

As i tried by condition .So its showing as by the correlationId.But i want to show the count of lastRunTime field count.If i use lastRunTime  the chart will show all the counts.But i need to club all the values into one.Below the query and i need to show values as 

LastRunTimeCount - 79 in the pie chart

content..lastRunTime="*" content.lastRunTime!="NA"  
[search index="Test" applicationName="scheduler" content.lastRunTime="*"  content.lastRunTime!="NA" | stats latest(correlationId) as correlationId | table correlationId|format]|rename content.lastRunTime as LastRunTimeCount | stats Count(LastRunTimeCount) as total by correlationId

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...