Splunk Search

How to extract a string in a variable

avneet26
Engager

I have a table in which one of the columns has logs like below

2022-08-21 23:00:00.877 Warning: PooledThread::run: N4xdmp29ForestCheckSchemaDBChangeTaskE::run: XDMP-XDQPNOSESSION: No XDQP session on host iuserb.nl.eu.abnamro.com, client=iuserb.nl.eu.abnamro.com, request=moreLocators, session=2026168605646879816, target=5301003730415457210

I want to extract the term "XDMP-XDQPNOSESSION" into a variable and then later use it. How to do that using regex or any other option ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

avneet26
Engager

Basically out of my base query, I want to extract this string put it in a variable and then pass it to create an alert e-mail , where-in this string will be passed to the e-mail title. How can I do that?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

one way to do it:

... your base query
| rex "(::run:.*)+::run:(?<foo>[^:]+)"

Then you have this string on field foo.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma

avneet26
Engager

what is run here?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"run" is taken from your example log event - it precedes "XDMP-XDQPNOSESSION" (the string you wanted to extract), but because it appears twice in your example, it needs to appear twice in the rex matching string to anchor the extract.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...