Splunk Search

How to extract a string in a variable

avneet26
Engager

I have a table in which one of the columns has logs like below

2022-08-21 23:00:00.877 Warning: PooledThread::run: N4xdmp29ForestCheckSchemaDBChangeTaskE::run: XDMP-XDQPNOSESSION: No XDQP session on host iuserb.nl.eu.abnamro.com, client=iuserb.nl.eu.abnamro.com, request=moreLocators, session=2026168605646879816, target=5301003730415457210

I want to extract the term "XDMP-XDQPNOSESSION" into a variable and then later use it. How to do that using regex or any other option ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

avneet26
Engager

Basically out of my base query, I want to extract this string put it in a variable and then pass it to create an alert e-mail , where-in this string will be passed to the e-mail title. How can I do that?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

one way to do it:

... your base query
| rex "(::run:.*)+::run:(?<foo>[^:]+)"

Then you have this string on field foo.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma

avneet26
Engager

what is run here?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"run" is taken from your example log event - it precedes "XDMP-XDQPNOSESSION" (the string you wanted to extract), but because it appears twice in your example, it needs to appear twice in the rex matching string to anchor the extract.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...