Splunk Search

How to extract a list of unique users in a search and table count of successful and failed logins?

Splunkster45
Communicator

This is my first time using splunk and I have 2 questions. First of all, say I have when I enter a certain search (" Login succeeded for user: ") I get the following 4 values.

1. Login succeeded for user: a1b2
  2. Login succeeded for user: c3d4
  3. Login succeeded for user: e5f6
  4. Login succeeded for user: a1b2

Is there a way that I can modify this query so that I can get a list of unique users (e.g. a1b2, c3d4, e5f6)? Essentially, as soon as the log finds one user, I want it to discard any other result that comes back with the same user. I do not have access to the props file and so I don't think that I can modify indexes on a permanent basis.

Secondly, is there a way that I can take 2 related queries (index=spss " Login succeeded for user: ") and (index=spss " Login failed for user: ") and get a count of how many times each one has occurred in the timeframe (e.g. 24 hours)? I'd like to be able to put those two numbers next to each other in a graph or table.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to using this tool (platform?)

I am running splunk 5.0.9

1 Solution

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

First, you need to extract usernames into a field, lets say "USER" after which you can achieve the statistics you want

index=spss " Login succeeded for user: " | rex "(?i)user: (?P<USER>.*)"

Unique List of users

index=spss " Login succeeded for user: " earliest=-24h@h | rex "(?i)user: (?P<USER>.*)" | dedup USER | table USER

Number of occurrences of each user within 24hrs

index=spss " Login succeeded for user: " earliest=-24h@h  | rex "(?i)user: (?P<USER>.*)" | stats count by USER

View solution in original post

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

First, you need to extract usernames into a field, lets say "USER" after which you can achieve the statistics you want

index=spss " Login succeeded for user: " | rex "(?i)user: (?P<USER>.*)"

Unique List of users

index=spss " Login succeeded for user: " earliest=-24h@h | rex "(?i)user: (?P<USER>.*)" | dedup USER | table USER

Number of occurrences of each user within 24hrs

index=spss " Login succeeded for user: " earliest=-24h@h  | rex "(?i)user: (?P<USER>.*)" | stats count by USER
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...