Splunk Search
Highlighted

How to extract Time and User from events using regex?

Path Finder

The following events are filtered by Snare and sent to Splunk from Windows Servers:

Server.egcorp.com MSWinEventLog 1 Security 255931 Tue Jul 01 02:56:52 2014 528 Security JOHN User Success Audit Server Logon/Logoff Successful Logon: User Name: JOHN Domain: egcorp Logon ID: (0x0,0xC8BCFD2) Logon Type: 2 Logon Process: User32 Authentication Package: Negotiate Workstation Name: Server Logon GUID: {122ff468-2a7e-bd13-abfc-3dbf4c3ac3d4} Caller User Name: Server$ Caller Domain: egcorp Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7) Caller Process ID: 532 Transited Services: - Source Network Address: 127.0.0.1 Source Port: 0 255930

Objective: To extract the Time and the User from these events using regex to filter these two fields.
Result:
Jul 01 02:56:52 2014 JOHN

Thanks

W

Tags (3)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How to extract Time and User from events using regex?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is that a single event you cited or multiple events?

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Multiple events

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does the time stamp Splunk has found match your time string in the data? If so, can you use that for your time?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If that's multiple events then you'll have trouble using just regex to get your fields. I see a date only in the first event and a user name only in the second (twice). To parse these, you'll first need to combine them using a common field.

---
0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

The time stamps of Splunk and the event might not be the same.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

RICHGALLOWAY - Sorry I misunderstood your question. The event that I listed above is in-fact just one event. But splunk receives multiple such events.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This regex string should do the trick.

(?:[\S]+ ){6}(?<DateTime>\S+\s\S+\s\d+:\d+:\d+\s\d{4})[\s\S]*?Name:\s(?<User>\S+)\s

Full Query

(server02 OR server01) AND 528 | rex "(?:[\S]+ ){6}(?<DateTime>\S+\s\S+\s\d+:\d+:\d+\s\d{4})[\s\S]*?Name:\s(?<User>\S+)\s" | table DateTime User
---
0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

I tried:
* (server02 OR server01) AND 528 | rex "(?:[\S]+ ){6}(?\S+\s\S+\s\d+:\d+:\d+\s\d{4})[\s\S]*?Name:\s(?\S+)\s"

and I just go the raw events:

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add this after the search. "| table DateTime, User"

0 Karma