Splunk Search

How to edit my search with IF/THEN logic to display usernames existing on a host for a given time range?

king2jd
Path Finder

Here is my search:

| set diff [search index=os_nix sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts" earliest =-90d@d latest=-30d@d host="su-ecom*" | stats count by host,user | eval ReportKey=">30 Days"][search index=os_nix sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts" earliest=-1d@d latest=now host="su-ecom*"| stats count by host,user | eval ReportKey="24 Hours"] | table host,user,count,ReportKey

This returns two search results. The first shows all the usernames that existed on a host 30 days ago, and the second search shows the usernames that exist 24 hours ago. I am trying to only display results ONLY IF:

A. The Usernames existed 30 days, ago but didn't exist within 24 hours (meaning they were deleted) OR
B. The usernames existed within 24 hours and didn't exist 30 days ago (meaning they were recently created)

Been struggling through this and figured i would look to the community for help.

Much appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

For A

index=os_nix sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts" earliest =-90d@d latest=-30d@d host="su-ecom*" | stats count by host,user | eval ReportKey=">30 Days" | append [search index=os_nix sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts" earliest=-1d@d latest=now host="su-ecom*"| stats count by host,user | eval ReportKey="24 Hours"] | stats values(ReportKey) as ReportKey by host,user
| where mvcount(ReportKey)=1 AND ReportKey=">30 Days" 

For B

index=os_nix sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts" earliest =-90d@d latest=-30d@d host="su-ecom*" | stats count by host,user | eval ReportKey=">30 Days" | append [search index=os_nix sourcetype="Unix:UserAccounts" earliest=-1d@d latest=now host="su-ecom*"| stats count by host,user | eval ReportKey="24 Hours"] | stats values(ReportKey) as ReportKey by host,user
| where mvcount(ReportKey)=1 AND ReportKey="24 Hours" 

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

For A

| where mvcount(ReportKey)=1 AND ReportKey=">30 Days" 

For B

| where mvcount(ReportKey)=1 AND ReportKey="24 Hours" 

king2jd
Path Finder

Thank you for your help! So the search A will show all the users that were not seen within 24 hours but seen 30 days ago, while search B shows the users that were seen within 24 hours and NOT > 30 days ago?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

That is correct.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...