Splunk Search

How to cross reference 2 fields (or back reference)...

999chris

Hi,

Here are a few log examples (I've just shown the fields extracted for simplicity):

00:19:07 -
jobId=527A63
vamAssetId=815164

00:37:15 -
jobId=527A63
status=encoding
progress=20

10:08:28 -
jobId=EE7086
vamAssetId=2359740

10:08:37 -
jobId=EE7086
status=starting

So I'd like to present the statuses of each vamAssetId in a table - thus:

|vamAssetId|status      |progress
|815164        |encoding|20
|2359740      |starting   |0

Trouble is the "vamAssetId" fields are not referenced in the same events as a "status" or "progress". The vamAssetId is assigned a jobId early on and the jobId is the only common reference between the two.

I have the current search query, but I cant finish off and display this information logically. Could you help please?

index=ateme [search index=ateme vamAssetId=815164 | fields jobId]
| eval progress=if(status="complete",100,if(status="starting",0,progress))
| table jobId status progress
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this.

index=ateme | transaction jobId | eval progress=case(status="complete",100, status="starting",0, 1=1, progress) | table vamAssetId jobId status progress
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

999chris

Hi,

Thanks for your try but that still isnt quite there.

Simply put I think I need to add the vamAssetId field and value to each event that matches the specific jobId.

I.e if there is one event with:

jobId=527A63
vamAssetId=815164

I need every event with jobId=527A63 to have vamAssetId=815164 added to it. This seems like the simplest solution but I've run out of brain power to do it.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

index=ateme | eventstats values(vamAssetId) as vamAssetId by jobid | eval progress=if(status="complete",100,if(status="starting",0,progress)) | stats latest(status) as status latest(progress) as progress by vamAssetId | fillnull

*OR*

index=ateme | eventstats values(vamAssetId) as vamAssetId by jobid | eval progress=if(status="complete",100,if(status="starting",0,progress)) | where isnotnull(status) OR isnotnull(progress) | table vamAssetId status progres
0 Karma

999chris

Hi,

Thanks for your try but that still isnt quite there.

Simply put I think I need to add the vamAssetId field and value to each event that matches the specific jobId.

I.e if there is one event with:

jobId=527A63
vamAssetId=815164

I need every event with jobId=527A63 to have vamAssetId=815164 added to it. This seems like the simplest solution but I've run out of brain power to do it.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this.

index=ateme | transaction jobId | eval progress=case(status="complete",100, status="starting",0, 1=1, progress) | table vamAssetId jobId status progress
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

999chris

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. But this is not matching any events.

0 Karma

999chris
index=ateme [search index=ateme vamAssetId=$asset_id$ | fields jobId] | transaction jobId maxspan=3d | stats first(status) as Status max(progress) as Progress by filename | eval Progress=case(Status="complete",100, status="starting",0, 1=1, Progress) | rename filename as Filename

Was the modified version. This worked perfectly. Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...