Splunk Search

How to create table from JSON?

Khanu89
Path Finder

Hello - Thank you in advance for the help. I am getting following raw data in Splunk events which I'd like to pull into a table format.

I would like to pull the following: Host, Success, and Error field as columns for my table.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.06.55 PM.png

I tried this query but no success:

| makeresults
| eval _raw="{\"host\"},{\"success\",{\"error\"}"
| spath path=host{} output=temp
| mvexpand temp
| spath input=temp
| fillnull value="None"
| table host,success,error

Labels (3)
0 Karma

Khanu89
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer Here you are. So my code is pinging remote machines and the response is in JSON file. I would like to table the host and success from this response file.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 12.13.28 AM.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like from your graphic that the JSON has been split across multiple events - is that right?

If so, will host, success and error always be in the same event?

0 Karma

Khanu89
Path Finder

yeah I do not know why they are split up in multiple events but the host, success and error will be in same event.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| rex "\"host\":\s(?<host>[^,]*),.*?\"success\":\s(?<success>[^,]*),.*?\"error\":\s(?<error>[^,]*),"
0 Karma

Khanu89
Path Finder

I tried and it didn't extract any fields.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

| rex "(?ms)\"host\":\s(?<host>[^,]*),.*?\"success\":\s(?<success>[^,]*),.*?\"error\":\s(?<error>[^,]*),"

I haven't tested this because I don't have an example to use (which is why I asked for the event to be in a code block, and I am not about to type it all in) 😀

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like (from the graphic) that host, success and error are elements of an object, which is part of a collection of similar objects. Is this right? Can you share a larger example of the whole event in a code block rather than a graphic (redacting any sensitive information of course)?

0 Karma

Khanu89
Path Finder

@ITWhisperer  hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 12.27.06 AM.png

Here is my JSON file 

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 12.30.06 AM.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like your file is being broken into events by the presence of timestamps rather than the end of the array element

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...