Splunk Search

How to create search that pulls the server status of running vs. shutdown?

Uday
Explorer

Can you please help me with a search to display a list of servers with a status Running or Shutdown?

I have a list of hostnames, but I am not sure how to show if the server status is Running or Shutdown. Eventually I have to build a dashboard out of it.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Uday,

as I said, you use the Splunk internal logs that are always present.

Using | metasearch you have a very quick search, so you don't need to use only one event.

You can run this search as an alert every e.g. 5 minutes on a timeframe of 5 minutes having a very quick answer.

In this way you almost immediately have an alert when a server is down.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Uday,

I can image that you have the Splunk UNiversal Forwarder installed in each of the monitored servers, so you can monitor the internal Splunk logs to know if the server is up or down.

You have to put the servers to monitor list in a lookup (called e.g. perimeter) with at least one field contaning hostnames (called host).

With these premises, you can run something like this:

| metasearch index=_internal
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| eval status=if(total=0,"Down","Up")
| table host status

You can display the results in a dashboard, that you can also have in graphic mode following the example "Table Icon Set (Rangemap)" that you can find in the Splunk Dashboard Examples app (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/).

Or simply in an alert deleting the last two rows and adding the condition | where total=0

| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| where total=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Uday
Explorer

Can you please help me to plug in the rangemap query to the below ?

| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| table host status

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Uday,

please, try this:

| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| rangemap field=total severe=0-0 low=1-1000000000 default=severe
| table host status range

In the table you can eventually choose to display only host and range.

You can also display results in graphic mode, following the instruction in"Table Icon Set (Rangemap)" dashboard in the "Splunk Dashboard Examples" App (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603/).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Uday
Explorer

I just tried this and the query helped. Can you please help with the query using range map to display the status Up/Down on the dashboard?

0 Karma

Uday
Explorer

Thank you. Is there a way we can do it based on the last event in the log?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Uday,

as I said, you use the Splunk internal logs that are always present.

Using | metasearch you have a very quick search, so you don't need to use only one event.

You can run this search as an alert every e.g. 5 minutes on a timeframe of 5 minutes having a very quick answer.

In this way you almost immediately have an alert when a server is down.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have events in Splunk that show the status of the servers?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Uday
Explorer

No, unfortunately the logs does n't have any thing that indicates what time the server started or shutdown.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...