Splunk Search

How to create a table of availabilities of a given service for a set of hosts?

bsg273
Path Finder

I'm trying to create a table of availabilities (percent uptime) for a given service for a set of hosts.  My desired output is a simple 2-column table of "Host" and "Availability (%)", like the one below:

Host Availability
my-db-1 100%
my-db-2 97.5%
my-db-3 100%
my-db-4 72.2%

rhnsd Availabilities

I have a query I currently use to get just availability of a service for a single host, but I'd like to scale it larger to create the above output.  It assumes ps.sh is running every 1800 seconds and uses the number of events it finds over a give time period (info_max_time-info_min_time) and divides that by the total number of 1800 second intervals that can fit in the given time period, along with some conditions if no host matches or if the availability is >100.  That query is as follows:

index=os host="my-db-1.mydomain.net" sourcetype=ps rhnsd  | stats count, distinct_count(host) as hostcount | addinfo | eval availability=if(hostcount=0,0,if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800))*100) | table availability

Or if there's a much easier way to accomplish this that I don't know about, I'm all ears.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try:

**Fixed malformed if condition

index=os host IN ("my-db-1.mydomain.net",..other hosts..) sourcetype=ps rhnsd  | stats count by host | addinfo | eval availability=if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800)*100) | table host availability

Please note that any host that is not reporting data will not appear in the result, not even with 0 as availability. To report availability of hosts that may not be reporting at all, you should create a lookup table with list of those hosts (just single column with name "host" will do) and use something like this.

index=os [| inputlookup yourhostlookup.csv | table host ] sourcetype=ps rhnsd  | stats count by host | addinfo | eval availability=if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800)*100) | table host availability
| append [| inputlookup yourhostlookup.csv | table host | eval availability=0]
| stats max(availability) as availability by host

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try:

**Fixed malformed if condition

index=os host IN ("my-db-1.mydomain.net",..other hosts..) sourcetype=ps rhnsd  | stats count by host | addinfo | eval availability=if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800)*100) | table host availability

Please note that any host that is not reporting data will not appear in the result, not even with 0 as availability. To report availability of hosts that may not be reporting at all, you should create a lookup table with list of those hosts (just single column with name "host" will do) and use something like this.

index=os [| inputlookup yourhostlookup.csv | table host ] sourcetype=ps rhnsd  | stats count by host | addinfo | eval availability=if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800)*100) | table host availability
| append [| inputlookup yourhostlookup.csv | table host | eval availability=0]
| stats max(availability) as availability by host

bsg273
Path Finder

Thanks!  After fixing the malformed if-statement it worked!  If you correct yours I can Accept as Solution:

if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800)*100)

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Correction made to the answer.

0 Karma

thatsabhijeet
Explorer

index=os host IN ("my-db-1.mydomain.net","my-db-2.mydomain.net","my-db-3.mydomain.net","my-db-4.mydomain.net") sourcetype=ps rhnsd
| stats count, distinct_count(host) as hostcount
| addinfo
| eval availability=if(hostcount=0,0,if(count>=(info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800,100,count/((info_max_time-info_min_time)/1800))*100)
| table host, availability

0 Karma

bsg273
Path Finder

Hmmm, this isn't working for me.  It's giving me a single row output in Statistics, whereby the host is blank and the availability is a single incorrect value. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...