Splunk Search

How to count the number of occurences of distinct strings associated with a specific json tag across multiple events?

dhartzog

Hello,

I am very new to this tool. I have Splunk set up to monitor a log file and extract json being written to that file to a set of events. This part is working fine. What I want to do is to inspect the value of a "results" tag that is a part of every json object, and to count the number of times a unique value is found.

Right now I'm working with something like this:

sourcetype=logfile.txt 
 | eval success=if(result="Success",1,hit) 
| stats count(success)...

But that isn't really working for me. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | stats count BY result
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Since your success field is 1 for each event that you want to count, you could do this...

| stats sum(success) as successCount...

But i'm not sure what the value of "hit" might have been. Can you explain a little more about what you are doing in your first line?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It would work better for us if you could add some sample events and (corresponding) mock output. Based on what could I could understand, give this a try

sourcetype=logfile.txt 
  | eval success=if(result="Success",1,hit) 
 | stats dc(success)...
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...