Splunk Search

How to count hosts that have a field value of ((X OR Y) AND (A OR B)), over the course of time?

stakor
Path Finder

I am looking to find hosts that have two field values over the course of time for the search, for example a week.

That value has to be either X or Y, to count as a 'hit'. And at some other point in the time window, it also has to be A or B.

I am trying to display hosts that have at least two unique values for that field, that fall into BOTH of those clusters of values.

Example:
Host1 A
Host2 A
Host1 X
Host2 B

Host1 would be displayed, as it has a value for ((A OR B) AND (X OR Y))

Not sure how to pull that off yet.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rjthibod
Champion

You can use search to do the filtering. The question is how do you want the final result displayed.

For example, if all you care about is just the individual values for the "host" field, then this should work (assume your special field is denoted as "MyField").

<YOUR_BASE_SEARCH> 
| stats values(MyField) as MyField by host 
| search (MyField=X OR MyField=Y) (MyField=A OR MyField=B) 
| fields host

View solution in original post

rjthibod
Champion

You can use search to do the filtering. The question is how do you want the final result displayed.

For example, if all you care about is just the individual values for the "host" field, then this should work (assume your special field is denoted as "MyField").

<YOUR_BASE_SEARCH> 
| stats values(MyField) as MyField by host 
| search (MyField=X OR MyField=Y) (MyField=A OR MyField=B) 
| fields host

stakor
Path Finder

Perfect. I was trying to get tricky and go down the wrong road, doing evals, etc. Just keep it simple.

Thank you.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...