Splunk Search

How to correlate two different sourcetypes.

allan_newton
Path Finder

I have two sourcetypes

src_type_data and src_type_scale.

src_type_data contains two fields

---------------------------
User_Type |  amount spent |
   0      |     30        |
   0      |     12        |
   0      |     32        |
   0      |     18        |
   1      |     102       |
   1      |     30        |
   1      |     39        |
   1      |     235       |
   1      |     17        |

src_type_scale contains only one field "Scale"

------------
   Scale    |
------------
     0.01   |
     0.02   |
     .      |
     .      |    
     .      |
     4.99   |    
     5.00   |
-------------    

There are two types of users differentiated by code 0,1. Now I have to compute mean of amount_spent for 0 and 1 separately and i have to apply normal distribution over the scale. Then display a table like
Formula to compute Normaldist will be eval norm_dist_0=mean(amount_spent for 0)-Scale.

---------------------------------
Scale | normdist_0 | normdist_1 |
0.01  |  0.24      | 0.011      |
0.02  |  0.28      | 0.019      |
.     |   .        |  .         |
.     |   .        |  .         |
5.00  |  0.001     |  0.009     |
0 Karma
1 Solution

chris
Motivator

The date you have is in csv format or has been reduced to a tabular format using the search language right?

To play around I converted what is listed below src_type_data to user.csv and the list below src_type_scale to scale.csv

The csv files were created in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/lookups

The following search does display a table with the fields you want, but I don't quite understand how the scale and data are related, the result doesn't have a lot to do with normal distribution...

| inputlookup user.csv | stats mean(spent) as  spent by type | map search="| inputlookup scale.csv | eval type=$type$ | eval dist=tonumber($spent$)-Scale "| chart avg(dist) by Scale,type

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chris
Motivator

The date you have is in csv format or has been reduced to a tabular format using the search language right?

To play around I converted what is listed below src_type_data to user.csv and the list below src_type_scale to scale.csv

The csv files were created in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/lookups

The following search does display a table with the fields you want, but I don't quite understand how the scale and data are related, the result doesn't have a lot to do with normal distribution...

| inputlookup user.csv | stats mean(spent) as  spent by type | map search="| inputlookup scale.csv | eval type=$type$ | eval dist=tonumber($spent$)-Scale "| chart avg(dist) by Scale,type
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...