Splunk Search

How to correlate DNS values between 2 indexes?

nts_cseidl

Dear Splunkers,

I have an index with Windows DNS Logs, where I extract the requested record in to a field --> dns domain.

29.04.2016 08:35:04 16F8 PACKET 0000001680F020F0 UDP Rcv 193.186.217.90 000d Q [0001 D NOERROR] A .cutheatergroup.cn.
29.04.2016 08:31:12 15C4 PACKET 00000016FF0B82A0 UDP Rcv 193.186.217.90 0009 Q [0001 D NOERROR] A .www.subdomain.cutheatergroup.cn.

So in the example above, the dns_domain is:

• cutheatergroup.cn
  • subdomain.cutheatergroup.cn

I created another index where I download the malwaredomains.com feed - the log entry looks like this:

29.04.2016 10:02:45 cutheatergroup.cn malware

Here I extract the domain into the field malware_domain and the type into malware_type. In this example:

malware_domain = cutheatergroup.cn
malware_type = malware

Now I want to check if a clients looks up a malware domain. The problem is that the value from dns_domain is not always the same as the value from malware_domain. It's more likely that the malware_domain is a "substring" from the dns_domain or the dns_domain contains the malware_domain.

I tried populating all the values from the malware_domains index with a subsearch and compare is with the value of the dns_domain in the other search. But that is nit working:

index = dns dns_domain= * [search index=security_intelligence sourcetype=security:intelligence:malwaredomains | fields malware_domain,malware_type] | table dns_client malware_domain_full malware_type | eval or where clause to check if there is a match.

Any suggestions for this use case?

Regards

0 Karma

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Absolutely! The URL Toolbox is a great way to extract the actual domain name from the query. Check out: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2734/

For a concrete example of how this works, take a look at this PDF that walks through using URL Toolbox to check entropy of subdomains (toward the end, just search for entropy) with step-by-step examples. You can go through the first few steps to actually extract out the pieces you're looking for.
https://splunk.box.com/v/SplunkLive2016ScottsdaleSec

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...