Splunk Search

How to copy/paste a regex into splunk

mikefoti
Communicator

My ultimate goal is to create a regex expression that can be used use to extract fields from any record made up comma-seperated fields. For example, if a normal event looks like this:

"RADSP01HDQRW","IAS",04/02/2012,16:14:38,2,,"RETAIL\HH01-9002",,,,,,,,0,"10.170.191.48"

it will always contain 15 commas, therefore 16 fields.

I created the regex expression below and tested it with UltraEditPro.

[^,](?=(,[^,]){15,15}$)

It will find the 1st field. In order to make it find the 2nd field I simply replace (15,15) with (14,14).

Everything looked great in UltraEdit but when I pasted it into the Field Extraction UI
it complained...

Invalid regex: no named extraction at position 7 (i.e., "=(,[^,]*){..."). Expected "(?Ppattern)"

I tried various combinations before thinking surely someone else has already tackled this problem... so here's hoping!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Since you have a delimiter that is separating your fields then I would take a look at the following:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf

[data]
REPORT-fieldextract = fieldextract

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/transforms.conf

[fieldextract]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = field1,field2,field3,...field16

Remember that this field extraction happens at index time so this will only work for the latest data.

Here is a link to more information:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Admin/Transformsconf

View solution in original post

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Since you have a delimiter that is separating your fields then I would take a look at the following:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf

[data]
REPORT-fieldextract = fieldextract

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/transforms.conf

[fieldextract]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = field1,field2,field3,...field16

Remember that this field extraction happens at index time so this will only work for the latest data.

Here is a link to more information:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.1/Admin/Transformsconf

MarioM
Motivator

Fields extractions are on the search head then if your indexer is the search head too then you should put it there.
Your sencond extraction via delims looks right.

0 Karma

mikefoti
Communicator

Thanks for the reply. I read the props and transforms documentation and am unclear if the edits need to be in these files on the indexer or the UF.

Also, if I want to extract the csv fields only for sourcetype=foo, does this look right?

Props.conf [sourcetype::foo]
report_radius=extract_radius_CSV

Transforms.conf: [extract_radius_CSV]
DELIMS=”,”
FIELDS=”nps_svrName”,”nps_svcName”,”nps_Date”,”nps_Time”,”nps_packetType,”nps_userName”,”nps_userFQDN”,”nps_calledStation”,”nps_callingStation”

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...