Splunk Search

How to compare two fields with every value?

username13
Explorer

Hi guys. I'm completly new to Splunk. Sorry if my question seems kinda stupid 🙂

I have some log-data including a GUID. Those are separated in two kinds: "error" and "times". Sometimes, an error-log has the same GUID as a times-log. I need to count those double GUIDs, for that reason I have to extract the GUIDs from their original field und compare them with each other.

I managed to extract them with Regex into two new fields. But now I'm searching for an opportunity to compare every error-GUID with every times-GUID.

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are the two GUIDs in the same event or different events?  If so, a simple where command should find the duplicates.

... | where errorGUID = timesGUID

If they're in different events, then we'll need to create a common field so the stats command can group events.  Then keep only the results where two events have the same GUID.

... | eval GUID=coalesce(errorGUID, timesGUID)
| stats count, values(*) as * by GUID
| where count=2

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are the two GUIDs in the same event or different events?  If so, a simple where command should find the duplicates.

... | where errorGUID = timesGUID

If they're in different events, then we'll need to create a common field so the stats command can group events.  Then keep only the results where two events have the same GUID.

... | eval GUID=coalesce(errorGUID, timesGUID)
| stats count, values(*) as * by GUID
| where count=2

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

username13
Explorer

It worked. Thank you so much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...