Splunk Search

How to compare field values from this year vs last year by date and calculate the percentage change?

puneetkharband1
Path Finder

Hi,

I have data in 2 fields in table: one is date and the other is some value, for each year respectively.
Now I want to perform an action like compare date_1 from 2015 vs date_1 from 2016, then perform some evals on the data.

For example:
01-01-2015 1234567
02-01-2015 1234578

01-01-2016 1234563
02-01-2016 1234577

Now I want to compare 01-01-2015 with 01-01-2016, see if they are equal greater less, and do a percentage change based on the data.

Sample:

index="test" source="test" year= date= mon=* SITE=US | stats values(field) as auth by year, mon, date | stats list(mon) list(date) values(auth) by year

this is what i tried
this is how raw data looks like
2016-12-31 00:00:00.000, date="2016-12-31 00:00:00.0", field="1234567", SITE="US"

I have extracted year month and date as part of time values

I do not have any time values but date year month thats what matters as I need to compare the numbers from last year

Please recommend

I have pulled all the dates using stats values by date and appended by a similar fashion for each year by adding the where clause in the date range.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you get one record for each day and your _time field represents correct date (the one you want to use), try like this

index="test" source="test" year=* date=* mon=* SITE=US
| eval day=strftime(_time,"%m-%d") 
| chart values(field) over day by year
| eval difference='2016'-'2015' 
| eval "%difference"=difference*100/'2015'

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you get one record for each day and your _time field represents correct date (the one you want to use), try like this

index="test" source="test" year=* date=* mon=* SITE=US
| eval day=strftime(_time,"%m-%d") 
| chart values(field) over day by year
| eval difference='2016'-'2015' 
| eval "%difference"=difference*100/'2015'
0 Karma

dpatiladobe
Explorer

In these case year was constant if we are getting per day and date will keep change how we will calculate difference ? as in "difference='2016'-'2015'" . 2016 and 2015 are constant , considering dynamically generated how we can handle same ?Also adding to Puneet concern how we can compare more than 2 years ?

0 Karma

dpatiladobe
Explorer

We can do eval to put things into bucket and name them so that name can be used in calculation.
like below for week to week comparison

search |eval marker=if (_time<relative_time(now(),"-w@w"), "Last2Week_Weekdays","LastWeek_Weekdays") | eval _time=if(marker=="Last2Week_Weekdays", _time + 7*24*60*60, _time)
0 Karma

puneetkharband1
Path Finder

Actually what you did is great and I miss something as part of my requirement is this sample is only for one year
I have data for 3-4 years so in that case how difference will work I am not sure. as I need to compare data for all 3 years in one shot.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

your _time is only monthly?

0 Karma

puneetkharband1
Path Finder

index="test" source="test" year=* date=* mon=* SITE=US | stats values(field) as auth by year, mon, date | stats list(mon) list(date) values(auth) by year

this is what i tried
this is how raw data looks like
2016-12-31 00:00:00.000, date="2016-12-31 00:00:00.0", field="1234567", SITE="US"

I have extracted year month and date as part of time values

I do not have any time values but date year month thats what matters as I need to compare the numbers from last year

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...