Splunk Search

How to compare data from the same month for multiple years?

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

I am doing a very basic search that just shows the top URIs during a specific month each year. I would like to be able to put multiple years within the same graph to do a quick visual comparison. My search is as follows:

source="/opt/gathered-logs/*/apache2/access_log" | stats count by uri

And I define the date range for the search (November 2015/16/17/etc.) I get the information I want from the graph in a pie graph, but it's not very helpful for comparison purposes. I'd like to just show an overall line graph that displays Nov. 2015 vs Nov. 2016 on the same graph. I don't really need to know individual stats per URI, so if I remove the |stats count by uri, I get the nice general green bar graph in splunk, but I don't see a way to define two different date ranges and overlay them or whatever. Is this possible?

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

Try this

source="/opt/gathered-logs/*/apache2/access_log" 
| eval Month=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
| where substr(Month,6,2)="11"
| stats count as mycount by Month uri

... now you have all the info for each November (Month=11).

Let's take the traffic for the top 5 uris THIS year, and check the trend for those for prior years...

| appendpipe [| sort 0 - Month - mycount | head 5 | table uri | eval myflag="keepme"]
| eventstats values(myflag) as myflag by uri
| where myflag="keepme" AND isnotnull(mycount)
| eval _time = strptime(Month,"%Y-%m-%d") 
| timechart sum(mycount) by uri

updated - changed top 5 to head 5

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Try this

source="/opt/gathered-logs/*/apache2/access_log" 
| eval Month=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
| where substr(Month,6,2)="11"
| stats count as mycount by Month uri

... now you have all the info for each November (Month=11).

Let's take the traffic for the top 5 uris THIS year, and check the trend for those for prior years...

| appendpipe [| sort 0 - Month - mycount | head 5 | table uri | eval myflag="keepme"]
| eventstats values(myflag) as myflag by uri
| where myflag="keepme" AND isnotnull(mycount)
| eval _time = strptime(Month,"%Y-%m-%d") 
| timechart sum(mycount) by uri

updated - changed top 5 to head 5

0 Karma

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

This almost seems to work. I had to add "uri" after "top 5" for it to not error out. I just realized I haven't been collecting these Apache logs for more than a year, so I can't even test to see if this is fully functional until November rolls around. Thank you DalJeanis, I'm going to save this as a report and see what happens after our busy November ends. 🙂

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@joseph.hazlett - sorry, that should be |head 5

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

Thanks. I've updated the report and hopefully will see results next month. 🙂

cmerriman
Super Champion

what about

source="/opt/gathered-logs/*/apache2/access_log"|timechart span=1mon count|timewrap 1mon
0 Karma

abhijitsaoji
Explorer

has this worked for you? I am also looking for the same. Please let me know.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...