Splunk Search

How to combine two fields into one after if without losing values

ebs
Communicator

Hi,

I have a uri_path that I want to combine into a single value, and put the combined value back into the original field and I have achieved that with the below search:

index=ping_sandbox uri_path=/as/*/resume/as/authorization
| eval uri=if(like(uri_path, "/as/%/resume/as/authorization"), "resume/as/authorization", uri)
| eval uri_path=mvappend(uri, url_path)

However, not every uri_path is /as/*/resume/as/authorization, and when I remove the uri_path search value, all the other uri_path values are gone.

For example, here's 3 values /1 /2 /3, and if I do the above eval statements for /as/*/resume/as/authorization I don't have /1 /2 or /3 anymore.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do the above eval statements while still retaining the rest of the field values? I only want the eval statements applied if /as/*/resume/as/authorization is present as well

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like you have 2 typos in your SPL

| eval uri=if(like(uri_path, "/as/%/resume/as/authorization"), "resume/as/authorization", uri_path)
| eval uri_path=mvappend(uri, uri_path)

3rd param to if should be uri_path - you had uri

2nd param to mvappend() was url_path, should be uri_path

HOWEVER, you can do this with a single line

| eval uri_path=if(like(uri_path, "/as/%/resume/as/authorization"), mvappend("resume/as/authorization", uri_path), uri_path)

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like you have 2 typos in your SPL

| eval uri=if(like(uri_path, "/as/%/resume/as/authorization"), "resume/as/authorization", uri_path)
| eval uri_path=mvappend(uri, uri_path)

3rd param to if should be uri_path - you had uri

2nd param to mvappend() was url_path, should be uri_path

HOWEVER, you can do this with a single line

| eval uri_path=if(like(uri_path, "/as/%/resume/as/authorization"), mvappend("resume/as/authorization", uri_path), uri_path)

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried this?

index=ping_sandbox uri_path=*
| eval uri=if(like(uri_path, "/as/%/resume/as/authorization"), "resume/as/authorization", uri)
| eval uri_path=mvappend(uri, url_path)
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ebs
Communicator

Yes, but all the field values are overwritten by the uri field value from the eval if

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...