Splunk Search

How to change a input text field to upper case and search for the changed value

vamshi245

I have a form, which has a text field for users to enter the orderid. users can enter in lower case or upper case. The OrderID is stored in upper case in splunk.

so I want to change the input text field to upper case and perform the search.

Below is my search query

index=<myindex>  sourcetype="mysource"  (SERVICE="ORDERS" AND  ORDERID=*$OrderID$*   )| stats count

Below is the dashboard text field

<input type="text" token="OrderNumber" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <label>Check Status of an Order or EXTID</label>
     </input>

i tried changing the query to

index=<myindex>  sourcetype="mysource"  (SERVICE="ORDERS" AND  ORDERID=*upper($OrderID$)*   )| stats count

but that didnt work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

When you add ORDERID filter in main search (i.e. first pipe with index=), the search performed is case independent i.e.
ORDERID="ABCD" is same as ORDERID="abcd".

If you want to force ORDERID to be case sensitive (Same goes for SERVICE="ORDERS" as well if you want upper case), you would need to add it as a where condition after first pipe i.e.

index=<myindex>  sourcetype="mysource"  | where (SERVICE="ORDERS" AND  ORDERID="upper($OrderID$)"   ) | stats count

PS: For better search performance search filters should be applied before first pipe and not through where condition.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

When you add ORDERID filter in main search (i.e. first pipe with index=), the search performed is case independent i.e.
ORDERID="ABCD" is same as ORDERID="abcd".

If you want to force ORDERID to be case sensitive (Same goes for SERVICE="ORDERS" as well if you want upper case), you would need to add it as a where condition after first pipe i.e.

index=<myindex>  sourcetype="mysource"  | where (SERVICE="ORDERS" AND  ORDERID="upper($OrderID$)"   ) | stats count

PS: For better search performance search filters should be applied before first pipe and not through where condition.

vamshi245

thanks. i was not sure the search will be case insensitive. i figured that out and it is working now

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Like @someson2 said, the base search is case-insensitive by default. However, it looks like you are using the wrong token.

The input field you pasted uses the token name "OrderNumber" and not "OrderID" (see token="OrderNumber"). If that is the case, your search should be the following:

index=<myindex>  sourcetype="mysource"  (SERVICE="ORDERS" AND  ORDERID=*$OrderNumber$* ) | stats count

Just a caveat, base searches use implied AND logic, so you could get rid of the parenthesis too.

index=<myindex>  sourcetype="mysource"  SERVICE="ORDERS" ORDERID=*$OrderNumber$*  | stats count
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What version of Splunk you're in?

Also, you're using the OrderID token in based search where case-insensitive match is done, so do you really need to change the case? It should be working fine anyways.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...