Splunk Search

How to calculate average of specific fields?

Ashwini008
Builder

Hi,

I am formatting data as required and getting it in below format. Now I want to calculate average of only highlighted fields in green color i.e. Q1_score PREPAID,Q2_score PREPAID,Q1_score CONSUMER so on

Example Q1_score CONSUMER ,Count by segment value should be 4.50

Ashwini008_0-1679334983161.png

This is last piece of my query

| addcoltotals COUNT* Q1* Q2* Q3* Total 
| eval Month=coalesce(Month, "Count by Segment") 

Please suggest

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ashwini008
Builder

@somesoni2 @PickleRick  Below code was my fix 

| eval var=1 
| addcoltotals COUNT* Q1* Q2* Q3* var Total 
| foreach Q1_Score* 
    [ eval '<<FIELD>>' = round('<<FIELD>>'/var,2)] 
| foreach Q2_Score* 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If the field names are static, you can use eventstats to calculate average of those specific fields like this

Your current search generating those columns
| eventstats avg("Q1_score PREPAID") as "Avg Q1_score PREPAID" ,avg("Q2_score PREPAID") as "Avg Q2_score PREPAID",avg("Q1_score CONSUMER") as "Avg Q1_score CONSUMER"
0 Karma

Ashwini008
Builder

@somesoni2  This isn't giving me any output,I don't see any additional field being added to the result.

Also, I want to show the average for Q1_score PREPAID & so on in  "count by segment" row i.e. at the bottom row

| eventstats avg("Q1_score PREPAID") as "Avg Q1_score PREPAID" ,avg("Q2_score PREPAID") as "Avg Q2_score PREPAID",avg("Q1_score CONSUMER") as "Avg Q1_score CONSUMER"

0 Karma

Ashwini008
Builder

@somesoni2 @PickleRick  Below code was my fix 

| eval var=1 
| addcoltotals COUNT* Q1* Q2* Q3* var Total 
| foreach Q1_Score* 
| foreach Q2_Score* 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To be fully honest, I don't understand what you want to do. Especially that I don't see any average that should come down to 4.50

But as a general rule, sometimes it's better to do some additional calculations earlier and then aggregate the results in the end instead of - for example - adding totals and then trying to do additional stuff since totals can get in the way.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...