AppPoolName : .NET v4.0 Classic
PrivateMemory : 2000
State : Started
Application : /DefaultApp1
/DefaultApp2
/DefaultApp3
IdentityType : ApplicationPoolIdentity
RecyclingTime : 01:00:00

What i am trying to achieve is, every name on left side of colon to be as a field name and values on right side as a field value.
Therefore my approach is Spliting the whole event at RecycleTime so we get multiple events and then further extracting fields using Search-Time extraction

I tried various events like MUST_BREAK_AFTER, ... _BEFORE ..etc but its not splitting in to multiple event.
here is my code

Props.conf,
[sourcetype]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 150
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = RecyclingTime
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
REPORT-1app_field = AppPoolName
REPORT-2app_field = Application
REPORT-3app_field = IdentityType
REPORT-4app_field = PrivateMemory
REPORT-5app_field = RecyclingTime
REPORT-6app_field = State

transforms.conf
[AppPoolName]
REGEX = (?i).? : (?P\w+)
[Application]
REGEX = (?ism)Application : (?P.+)(?=IdentityType)
[IdentityType]
REGEX = (?i)IdentityType : (?P.+)(?=RecyclingTime)
[PrivateMemory]
REGEX = (?i).
? : (?P\d+)
[RecyclingTime]
REGEX = (?i).? : (?P\d+:\d+:\d+)
[State]
REGEX = (?i).
? : (?P\w+)

can you guys suggest, what am i missing in above code to extract events and there fields.

0 Karma
1 Solution

musskopf
Builder

If you use a script like powershell, just make a loop and print everything as key="value", for example you data you look like:

2014-11-06T04:10:09.000+10:00, AppPoolName="TestApp", PrivateMemory=2000, State="Started",...

If you data is already a hash is very simple to make a loop, if the data is a single string, you might need to split by ":" to load it into a hash table first. As you are already using Scripted Input, a few more lines on your script will save heaps of time on the Splunk side.

View solution in original post

musskopf
Builder

If you use a script like powershell, just make a loop and print everything as key="value", for example you data you look like:

2014-11-06T04:10:09.000+10:00, AppPoolName="TestApp", PrivateMemory=2000, State="Started",...

If you data is already a hash is very simple to make a loop, if the data is a single string, you might need to split by ":" to load it into a hash table first. As you are already using Scripted Input, a few more lines on your script will save heaps of time on the Splunk side.

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

Thanks a ton mussktop, i did managed to get powershell output into splunk, by using key=value method. I have yet more complicating scenarios coming soon, like grasping all appwiz.cpl entries in splunk etc.. Thanks again for you help

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

please mark this as answered - thx

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

If that's a scripted input, I would suggest to code the script to format the content as key="value". I use a couple of Powershell scripts to collect data from different sources like Sharepoint, AD, EventLog, etc... and I even created a library to output each events in key=value format. Much easier!

0 Karma

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

Do you mean having a hash tables or arrays.?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...