AppPoolName : .NET v4.0 Classic
PrivateMemory : 2000
State : Started
Application : /DefaultApp1
/DefaultApp2
/DefaultApp3
IdentityType : ApplicationPoolIdentity
RecyclingTime : 01:00:00

What i am trying to achieve is, every name on left side of colon to be as a field name and values on right side as a field value.
Therefore my approach is Spliting the whole event at RecycleTime so we get multiple events and then further extracting fields using Search-Time extraction

I tried various events like MUST_BREAK_AFTER, ... _BEFORE ..etc but its not splitting in to multiple event.
here is my code

Props.conf,
[sourcetype]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 150
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = RecyclingTime
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
REPORT-1app_field = AppPoolName
REPORT-2app_field = Application
REPORT-3app_field = IdentityType
REPORT-4app_field = PrivateMemory
REPORT-5app_field = RecyclingTime
REPORT-6app_field = State

transforms.conf
[AppPoolName]
REGEX = (?i).? : (?P\w+)
[Application]
REGEX = (?ism)Application : (?P.+)(?=IdentityType)
[IdentityType]
REGEX = (?i)IdentityType : (?P.+)(?=RecyclingTime)
[PrivateMemory]
REGEX = (?i).
? : (?P\d+)
[RecyclingTime]
REGEX = (?i).? : (?P\d+:\d+:\d+)
[State]
REGEX = (?i).
? : (?P\w+)

can you guys suggest, what am i missing in above code to extract events and there fields.

0 Karma
1 Solution

musskopf
Builder

If you use a script like powershell, just make a loop and print everything as key="value", for example you data you look like:

2014-11-06T04:10:09.000+10:00, AppPoolName="TestApp", PrivateMemory=2000, State="Started",...

If you data is already a hash is very simple to make a loop, if the data is a single string, you might need to split by ":" to load it into a hash table first. As you are already using Scripted Input, a few more lines on your script will save heaps of time on the Splunk side.

View solution in original post

musskopf
Builder

If you use a script like powershell, just make a loop and print everything as key="value", for example you data you look like:

2014-11-06T04:10:09.000+10:00, AppPoolName="TestApp", PrivateMemory=2000, State="Started",...

If you data is already a hash is very simple to make a loop, if the data is a single string, you might need to split by ":" to load it into a hash table first. As you are already using Scripted Input, a few more lines on your script will save heaps of time on the Splunk side.

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

Thanks a ton mussktop, i did managed to get powershell output into splunk, by using key=value method. I have yet more complicating scenarios coming soon, like grasping all appwiz.cpl entries in splunk etc.. Thanks again for you help

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

please mark this as answered - thx

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

If that's a scripted input, I would suggest to code the script to format the content as key="value". I use a couple of Powershell scripts to collect data from different sources like Sharepoint, AD, EventLog, etc... and I even created a library to output each events in key=value format. Much easier!

0 Karma

dilipbailwal
Path Finder

Do you mean having a hash tables or arrays.?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...