Splunk Search

How to backup splunk-var data?

power12
Communicator

Hello Splunkers ,

I wrote a python script that explores the splunk-var indexes and calculates their total size, and then asks the user if they’d like to back it up.

After the user indicates which indexes they’d like to back up, it copies all buckets and other metadata in the db path (excluding the hot bucket) to a dir that is specified as a command line arg.

I want to know

• How to actually back up files (is it as simple as copying out the dir and then later copying it in and restarting splunk)
  • Best implement bucket policies (maxHotSpanSecs)
  • Understand bucket rollover when we have unexpected behavior

What indexes.conf should  I use to have the bucket have one day worth of data

Thanks in Advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @power12 ,

answering to your questions:

How to actually back up files (is it as simple as copying out the dir and then later copying it in and restarting splunk)

• back-up of warm and cold buckets can be done also with active Splunk, doesn't need to stop Splunk.

Best implement bucket policies (maxHotSpanSecs)

• it depends on your situaztion, but I usually leave the default values.

Understand bucket rollover when we have unexpected behavior

• why do you speak of unexpected behaviour? if there's something strange, you can see it in the Monitoring console or by messages.

What indexes.conf should  I use to have the bucket have one day worth of data

• why should you have one day worth of data? you don't have any advantage of this and probably some problems, infact there's a Splunk alert that fires when you have too small buckets because this limits performaces; I'd avoid to have too small and too large buckets, for this reason I leave the default values.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

@gcusello Thank you for your reply..We have a single instance splunk and 100GB license and on an average we get 10GB of data per day..Even with this..its not good practice to have 1 day worth data?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @power12,

as also @richgalloway said, it isn't a good idea having one day worth data because, unless you have very large data volumes (as not in your case), in this way you'll have a largen number of very small buckets.

leave the default values!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk has a document that explains how to backup and recover your indexes.   It also explains rollover.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.3/Indexer/Backupindexeddata

We don't have enough information to answer the second question.  What's best for you may not be best for others.  Also, different indexes within a site may need different settings.

For a bucket to contain at most one day of data, set maxHotSpanSecs to 86400.  Note that a bucket may contain less than a day of data if it filled up early.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

power12
Communicator

@richgalloway  Thank you for your reply .  Yes I used the same setting but its chunking before 86400 ..so I checked with btool and saw that the maxDataSize is set to default which is 750 MB..changing that solved the issue

We have a single instance splunk and 100GB license and on an average we get 10GB of data per day..Even with this..is it not good practice to have 1 day worth data ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm glad to hear you solved your problem.

I think it is not correct to say that 1 day of data is not good practice.  It can be good practice, depending on your needs.  Many sites use that practice to help ensure their data freezes in a timely fashion.  If a bucket contains multiple days of data then old data in that bucket will remain searchable until the newest event in the bucket expires.  That could violate the site's data retention policy.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...