Splunk Search

How to automatically change a field value from lookup table?

MScottFoley
Path Finder

I have logs with a Customer field where the name of the customer is not consistent.  
  customer=Bobs Pizza
  customer=Bob's Pizza
  customer=Bobs Pizzeria

I want to use an automatic lookup to change all to a standard name without needing to changing existing searches.  

customer_lookup.csv
  customer_name,standard_customer_name
  Bobs Pizza,Bob's Pizza
  Bobs Pizzeria,Bob's Pizza

I am trying to do this with a lookup table in the search before I try to make it an automatic lookup. 

| lookup customer_lookup customer_name as Customer output standard_customer_name AS Customer

This lookup only works if the Customer returned in the search is actually in the lookup table.  So Customer="Bobs Pizza" is in the result, but Customer="Frank's   Artichokes" is not.  I can't add all customers to the table.  I have tried many forms of the lookup.  I can get a list with the original Customer name and the standard customer name in one exists, but that won't work for current searches.   

Can this be done?  I would think it could cause problems since someone could add an automatic lookup to hide certain things if needed.  

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are overwriting Customer so if your lookup is not found, it will overwrite Customer

Do it like this

| lookup customer_lookup customer_name as Customer output standard_customer_name 
| eval Customer=coalesce(standard_customer_name, Customer)

so, if your Customer does not exist in the lookup, it will return a null standard_customer_name and then the coalesce will just use the original Customer

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are overwriting Customer so if your lookup is not found, it will overwrite Customer

Do it like this

| lookup customer_lookup customer_name as Customer output standard_customer_name 
| eval Customer=coalesce(standard_customer_name, Customer)

so, if your Customer does not exist in the lookup, it will return a null standard_customer_name and then the coalesce will just use the original Customer

0 Karma

MScottFoley
Path Finder

That is perfect.  I see now why it was not working before.  

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @MScottFoley ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @MScottFoley ,

only to complete the solution from @PickleRick that's perfect, you have to:

• go in [Settings > Lookups > Lookup definitions]
  • choose the lookup
  • flag Advanced Options
  • insert "WILDCARD" in Match Type
  • Save

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can create a lookup with a WILDCARD match type.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...